Board index FlightGear Development New features

Wouldn't it be nice...?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Wouldn't it be nice...?

Postby jacksonaron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 pm

wouldn't it be good to have some missions or tasks or what ever we call them in FG, like in other games such as silent wings, or anything.
The task could bee like flying from an airport to another, but FG could calculate the avarage speed, and if its too much you have to start over the mission.
The problem is that i have no idea how to do thi...

Aron
jacksonaron

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...?

Postby 2011futuremarine » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 am

you mean like a MP event? :?
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 am

2011futuremarine wrote:you mean like a MP event? :?

I'm pretty sure he means like a mission mode, which could probably be done either in mp or solo flying. Like in a game. You would have a series of tasks you would have to complete, you may or may not have a time limit, and when you complete a mission successfully, it gives you feedback on your performance.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby someguy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:43 am

Mission #10: Land the R-22 on the KSFO tower roof.

I'm sure we can think of 9 easier ones. Each mission will be self-grading, on a pass-fail basis: either you will make it, or you will crash.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:51 am

Nice job coming up with the hardest mission. I can't even get that one off the ground. :lol: The Super Frelon is almost just as hard.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 am

You can use the tutorial XML system to create missions. That gives you full access to the property system and Nasal within a nice framework with logical steps.

Should be pretty easy - I was thinking of creating a fire-fighting one a while back.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Groucho » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:25 am

someguy wrote:Mission #10: Land the R-22 on the KSFO tower roof.

Mission accomplished some while ago. Next one ? ;)
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby someguy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Groucho wrote:

Mission #11: Land the R-22 in Coit Tower. Then take off again.
someguy

Postby Groucho » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

someguy wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Mission #11: Land the R-22 in Coit Tower. Then take off again.

Which is where ?
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby someguy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Groucho wrote:Which is where ?

On Telegraph Hill in San Francisco: 37.802392N, 122.405855W
someguy

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2009 11:02 pm

jacksonaron wrote:wouldn't it be good to have some missions or tasks or what ever we call them in FG, like in other games such as silent wings, or anything.
The task could bee like flying from an airport to another, but FG could calculate the avarage speed, and if its too much you have to start over the mission.
The problem is that i have no idea how to do thi...

Just tell us more about what exactly you want to do, and we can tell you how to do it.
Calculating "average speed" is just a matter of doing the maths for (distance over ground) / (time required).
So this can be easily done using a Nasal script.
Anything else that you need to know?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby lqiyun » Sun May 10, 2009 3:21 pm

hi!

alright, I was thinking of this.. As you guys know, there's this Nellis Bombing Range Demo, where you have to bomb a couple o' M61 Abhrams tanks. I was thinking, why don't we enhance this, and transform this into a mission, where you can only 'succeed' if you bomb all of the tanks or something..

Cheers,
QiYun :)
QiYun

Flightgear Callsign: Old-Man

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.
— Baron Manfred von Richthofen.
lqiyun

Postby redneck » Sun May 10, 2009 3:56 pm

That would be nice if there was some way to control how many bombs you drop. I don't know about other planes, but right now, with the F4-E, the only way you can drop a bomb is if you drop all of them at once, which makes this mission impossible for this plane. Also, guns don't seem to have any effect on the tanks.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Hooray » Sun May 10, 2009 7:04 pm

You will require a way to track your ground targets (tanks), as well as your ammo/ordnance (bombs) that you drop onto it.

I am not familiar with the tank demo you're referring to, but it seems this is using statically placed 3D models?
If that's the case, it seems simple: you could just look up their gps coordinates and write them down, so that you know where the 3D models are placed.

Once you've got that, next thing is to actually track your ordnance.
So, what plane are you referring to?

Assuming that it is using submodels, it should be possible to determine the point of impact (terrain contact), i.e. getting gps coordinates for each collision.
These can then be written to and processed by the property tree, using for example a Nasal script.

Next thing to do would be to define the effect for your ordnance: assuming you want each impact to "destroy" everything within a radius of say 3000 ft, you now need to check if your statically placed 3D models (the tanks) are located within any of these circular sectors (i.e. determine if a gps datum lies within an area of another gps datum with a fixed radius).

If a 3D model actually does lie in any of the "destruction sectors", you'll want to trigger a destruction animation for it (e.g. by just using the wildfire animation) in order to illustrate successful hits.

Similarly, you'll want to proceed for gunshots: determine their points of impact and track these using a script.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby redneck » Sun May 10, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm using the F4-E. The tanks aren't actually static (but they move at only about 20 kts, so they might as well be). I don't have any problem with the bombs destroying the tanks. When they hit a tank, the tank explodes as well as the bombs. My only issue is that I'd rather be able to control how many bombs I drop. Right now, I just press one button, and all of them are released, so I can only destroy one target with about six bombs. The bombs aren't even shown in the Fuel & Payload dialog, so I can't "magically" get new bombs without a reset. I can't remember if the reset "heals" the destroyed target. It probably wouldn't be an issue if I just tried it with the A-10. It's been a while since I've flown that plane though.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Next

Return to New features