Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Wiki account...

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Wiki account...

Postby simbabeat » Mon May 24, 2010 10:29 pm

mattt wrote:Why? Do you think it'd be poor form?

Cheers,
Mattt.

Probably.........
simbabeat

Postby mattt » Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 pm

So... The general consensus is that I should suck it up, and that it's perfectly okay for someone else to be using a username that happens to be the same as mine (and that I don't "own") on a related web... But that it wouldn't be okay for me to do the same thing?

Chocboy: Yes, I'm trying to get the user identified. That, and having the account reset so that *I* can hijack it, is the whole point :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm

mattt wrote:So... The general consensus is that I should suck it up, and that it's perfectly okay for someone else to be using a username that happens to be the same as mine (and that I don't "own") on a related web... But that it wouldn't be okay for me to do the same thing?

Chocboy: Yes, I'm trying to get the user identified. That, and having the account reset so that *I* can hijack it, is the whole point :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.

I don't think you should "suck it up". On the contrary, you have a right to be mad over this issue.

BUT we're still forgetting that you can't just commandeer a Wiki account because it's your username. Matt is a very common name, and just because a..er...controversial figure is named it doesn't mean you can say: "Hey! You're disgracing all the other Matt's in this world. Change your user!"

It will be more practical to get him banned or kicked off of WiKi, and THEN take the username. But I'm afraid that there is no law against "Being controversial and having the same name as a respected FG user". Maybe you can email him....have him change his name or something.
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby simbabeat » Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Is mattt with three t's common?
simbabeat

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 pm

simbabeat wrote:Is mattt with three t's common?

What's that got to do with it? Isn't the user called Matt?
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 pm

ChocBoy, you should (and I say this without any malice or disdain) go check out the situation on the wiki (look into the history stuff, mostly). The username in question is, in fact, spelt with three t's and, given the timing and the subject matter the user is submitting, is rather obviously pretending to be me. I've already been questioned on at least two occasions as to why I would contribute stuff like that to the wiki - luckily, there's enough lies and bad spelling / grammar (as well as "Americanisms") to easily show that it wasn't me. But still...

No, the username "Mattt/mattt" isn't at all unique to me. Seems to be on the FG forum, though - and I have been using it (elsewhere, I obviously mean) since the early - mid 90's :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 pm

mattt wrote:ChocBoy, you should (and I say this without any malice or disdain) go check out the situation on the wiki (look into the history stuff, mostly). The username in question is, in fact, spelt with three t's and, given the timing and the subject matter the user is submitting, is rather obviously pretending to be me. I've already been questioned on at least two occasions as to why I would contribute stuff like that to the wiki - luckily, there's enough lies and bad spelling / grammar (as well as "Americanisms") to easily show that it wasn't me. But still...

No, the username "Mattt/mattt" isn't at all unique to me. Seems to be on the FG forum, though - and I have been using it (elsewhere, I obviously mean) since the early - mid 90's :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.

I stand corrected. I thought all this hubbub was over a guy named Matt, not Mattt.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 pm

ChocBoy wrote:I stand corrected. I thought all this hubbub was over a guy named Matt, not Mattt.

Nah - if that were the case I'd have absolutely no argument :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Postby simbabeat » Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 pm

The guys only argument could be a typo.
simbabeat

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

simbabeat wrote:The guys only argument could be a typo.

The guy's argument could be that it's not illegal to have the username Mattt. There is no law against that. If you wanted to, you could head over there and make a ChocBoy account...except for the fact I already did after Mattt's name was hijacked :D .

No, I'm afraid that the only way Mattt can get a username parallel to his is by kicking this guy off of wiki. But by his behavior, I don't think that's very hard to do.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby 439Tiger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm

I'd love to create an account and have tried to many times but I always get the same message :?

Login error
Your IP address is listed as an open proxy in the DNSBL used by wiki.flightgear.org. You cannot create an account
Specializing in Canadian built aircraft and aircraft flown by the RCAF

http://www.flightgearcanada.ca/ or: https://sites.google.com/site/flightgearcanada/
439Tiger

Callsign: C-CYSG
Version: 2.10.03

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project