Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Cessna 172P detailed (was "Cockpit textures for the c172p")

Postby gsagostinho » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Cessna 172P detailed project

See our wiki page for more information on this aircraft.

Git repository: https://github.com/Juanvvc/c172p-detailed

You need current FG 3.5 or higher along with FGDATA 3.5 or higher. The aircraft for the above setup is c172p-detailed zip (master) from the master branch.

If you have FG 3.2 to 3.4 you can test c172p-detailed zip (regression-to-3.2) from the regression-to-3.2 branch.

****************************************************************************************

Original post:

Hello all,

First of all, this is my first post here, so I hop I am writing in the correct subforum (please feel free to correct me if anything wrong is being done).

My question is about the cockpit textures for the Cessna 172P. The default cockpit lacks a lot of texturization, and I found a 5 years old thread ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10187&start=15 ) in which an user created and shared an amazing new version of the cockpit: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7272/test1722.png

Link for files: http://www.grafikavirtual.com/fgfs/?sec=aviones.php

My question is: why hasn't these textures been incorporated in the default c172p? They are clearly superior to the default cockpit and create a much deeper sense of imersion. Was this overlooked or is there any other reason for not making these the default textures?

Best,
Gilberto Agostinho
Last edited by gsagostinho on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
gsagostinho

Re: Cockpit textures for the c172p

Postby stuart » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi Gilberto,

The reason the textures were not included was that they were developed for a previous version of the c172p, and it was not possible to integrate them properly with the current version as the model itself had changed.

It would probably be possible to re-map them to work with the current model, but it would be quite a bit of work.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby gsagostinho » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your reply. It's a pity that our c172p's paint kit contains only external textures, not internal, else I would give it a try myself to create some textures or adapt those ones.

Take care,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby El Flauta » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 pm

No. In it's time, the textures was for the right version of the C172P. The reason (i remember it well, because i am friend of Horacio, the texture's maker) for not adding the textures was because the C172 mantainer just rejected them, because "he had another plan". However, 5 years after, we never saw that plan...
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby gsagostinho » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 pm

That is a real pity.

You know, people who fire up FlightGear for the first time will be seating in front of the c172p panel, so that's our "invitation card", and most people can reject something based on a 5 second look (I myself come from the X-Plane world and I confess my first impression of FlightGear was not positive, particularly based on the c172p panel visuals). It would be wonderful to upgrade that panel, also for the reason that a Cessna 17x or a 15x are some of the most basic and yet most used aircrafts for training purposes (a lot of people use sims to replicate what they do in real life, which for a lot of them consists of flying C172, C152 or some Piper), and also because we saw what is possible to achieve with panels such as the Skymaster's and Robin's ones.

I will have a look on the 172 files and see if I can achieve something interesting with it.

Take care,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby stuart » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Gilberto,

That would be great. There's not much development on the c172p right now, so any improvement would be welcome. However, try not to include big shadows (for example from the glareshield) - we now have Rembrandt which provides shadows.

El Flauta: I think it's all "water under the bridge", and my memory may not be as good as yours. I think I did commit what I could: http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10187&start=60. I think you may be referring to some improvements that HHS or possibly Gijs were working on but never completed?

Best regards,

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby El Flauta » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:49 pm

stuart wrote in Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 pm:El Flauta: I think it's all "water under the bridge", and my memory may not be as good as yours. I think I did commit what I could: http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10187&start=60. I think you may be referring to some improvements that HHS or possibly Gijs were working on but never completed?

I speak only about the cockpit's textures improvement. Nothing more.
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby tigert » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:26 pm

If someone feels like creating external liveries, this could make one heck of a "well served trainer" livery: http://tigert.1g.fi/kuvat/Simulators/Flightgear/ with its 15000+ flight hours ;-)

It was in our aviation club fleet, but recently moved to another club and inherited floats in the process :-)
tigert

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:09 am

If someone feels like creating external liveries, this could make one heck of a "well served trainer" livery

Fantastic pictures! I will give it a shot myself as soon as I have some free time, ok?
gsagostinho

Postby thevirtualfer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi Gilberto.

The dificulty to custom the panel texture is that the "panel.png" texture is not proportional to the panel itself. It is stretched some sort.

The way i see, is

(A) edit the model and
(B) recalculate the UV mapping to a more suitable proportion.

Then, you will find that the model is a .ac file, edited by a non free program called AC3D. But you can try Blender + plugin to import/export AC3D's .ac files.

And again you will see that the plugin has some bugs, and not always does what it did just before, when exporting.
But beside all of these, the process is fun. A error here, other there, but it can take you a couple of hours, without perceiving the tick of the time.

Well, before write, i have tried all this myself.

I am not an artist at all, but i am enjoying to "tweak" the c172p cockpit.
With not muuuuuch work, i achieved this :

Not so good, but a little better than the defaut texture.

I will play a bit more with the tibs and dibs.

When satisfied, i will try understand what GIT is and what i need to do to submit my changes.

PS : Sorry by my poor english.
Last edited by Johan G on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing image links.
thevirtualfer

Location: Benevides-PA Brazil (Benevides is inside Amazon Forest)

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:14 pm

no images
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby thevirtualfer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:57 pm

Well, i am not familiar with the tools of this forum.
I clicked on "image" and put the link there.

Ok.
Now i will put the link (google drive).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VHcz ... sp=sharing (my try. In progress.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VHcz ... sp=sharing (default FG cockpit)
thevirtualfer

Postby hamzaalloush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:54 pm

very nice! :thumbsup:
hamzaalloush

Postby thevirtualfer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:17 am

More pics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VHcz ... sp=sharing

When you import the model to blender, it goes all to one layer. The model is small, and some parts vanish from view when you zoom.

I am just organizing the Blender file, recalculating the UV's, and will made the Blender file and the Gimp file with the text, both public.

Maybe, a lot of custom cessna will be on the net, in the future.

PS : The Google Drive is slow applying zoom. Be patient.
thevirtualfer

Postby thevirtualfer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 am

There is a way to put the image in the message's body ?

Damn !

Appears that firefox can't zoom.

I will search another way to share the images.
thevirtualfer

Next

Return to Aircraft