Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Dornier DO228-212 NG, where is it?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Dornier DO228-212 NG, where is it?

Postby Miko » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi together,

for a pity, one of the most successful modern german aircrafts is missing, the Dornier DO228. The DO328 seems to be in development.

The DO228 is, analog to the DHC6, "Germans all terrain vehicle". It was, despite the higher price to the dhc6, a popular plane both by small airlines in third world countries and by regional airlines in industrial countries.

Since 2009 a new version is developed and under construction, the DO228-212 NG. The market is the same like earlier: regional airlines, third world airlines (STOL) and observation (i.e. coastguard). United Nations also uses DO228.

I prefer the DO228 over the DHC6 because it has a retractable gear and has much better performance values. Asides that it's a bit more modern (NG Version much more of course). The DHC6 in Flightgear also lacks a few features like Autopilot, a good 3d Cockpit and a realistic behaviour (subjective of course).

I know everyone has his own great projects and don't want to invest time to do something he's not interested in. But perhaps someone just missed the plane and feel's hisself to be called to develop a realistic flying DO228.

But perhaps something already exists?

Greetings
Miko
Miko

Re: Dornier DO228-212 NG, where is it?

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am

Hy Miko

Good news: shes in the trial phase

helijah has done the 228 (in his hangar) ive done some improvements and now i am on the NG yasim
but the NG Cockpit and the 5 blade propellers im not able to do at the moment,

gards <goos
actually quite still naive
Cpt Goosnen

Callsign: Arse
Version: 3.0

Re: Dornier DO228-212 NG, here it is!

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Dornier 228

228NG version (2009)
ImageImageImage

and the origin 228 version (1982)
ImageImageImage

<Download> 24 MB
(last update: 16.11.2013)

2 Versions
5 Liveries
simple startup (but a startup^^)
more rl FDM

to dos:
Interior
better default Cockpit
complete NG Cockpit
5 blade NG propeller
more rl Sound

Thats just a little preview, alot to do and cause i couldnt get rl far i post it... help is wellcome!
i just included the startbuttons they select and deselect the fueltanks, not more!Also i set the sound and prop animations this way that it looks like a real system^^ for that u shouldnt wonder when the engines stops running at the apron when u just done the throttle to zero ;~) so.... a little throttle is in need! Both Yasims are reworked, i had a lot trouble with the balance, but the NG yasim looks good for now. Help is wellcome!
[NG version just got a "fitting" yasim, the NG Cockpit and 5 blade props are still to do.... (like "some" more things)]

ImageImage

The Map is from helijah (he hided it out cause its not working well) when someone has a similar radar/map system or know where it can be find, or even better: when u know how to configure it and u have a quick explanation, Ore More better:: If u want to do a King/Bendix KMD150 or similar MFD, ur in the project^^

enjoy
Tob

ps: if u want to help feel free to contact me; there is a github project also! (comming soon)
Cpt Goosnen

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:49 pm

regarding the ND/MFD you can track the Canvas developments related to this - or even just adopt the framework to implement your own avionics.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:59 pm

yeah but the prob is , i have no doupt about this stuff^^ the current map is shaped well i think, (maybe the lower buttons but) i dont know how the rl Instrument is working, and i dont know how to get the map texture doing what i want^^

here is a list with Instrus similar to the King/Bendix KMD150 if someone is interested!
http://www.peninsulaavionics.com/cat54_1.htm

Regardsens
Last edited by Cpt Goosnen on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Goosnen

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 am

ok, so basically, this is about a moving map display - we have various "attempts" at this, most of them predating canvas - meanwhile, this could be implemented by using 50 lines of Nasal code loading precreated images and geo-referencing (aligning) them via canvas::map - that's about 30-50 lines of code probably and not very difficult.

Even if you have never used Nasal before, you could put this together by working through a handful of tutorials. The thing is, it's not the best way to implement this - and it still requires work beforehand ... core developers have been considering and discussing a technology switch that would provide these kinds of maps "for free" - using a method that works pretty much like "atlas" - but integrated right into FG, using OSG's CompositeViewer - the technical details can be found at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/CompositeViewer_Support

This is not just some random end-user feature request, it's the leading 3D/scenery developers suggesting this change (Tim, Mathias, Fred and James) - Stuart also mentioned that this would be useful for some of his work - so it's certainly gonna happen at some point, but not necessarily very soon. Once that switch has been done, supporting such "maps" via the Canvas system would "just" involve adding a new canvas element.

More recently, poweroftwo started working on the scenery/viewer side of things in FG - so the situation is actually promising.

If you want to see such atlas-like maps created at runtime inside FG, please feel free to file a feature request at the tracker.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Dornier DO228-212 NG, here it gets

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Alright thanks Hooray, but my major problem is: IM in DEVELOPING since 1 Year
... i have no rl idea what exactly ur post means, but it sounds very nice.
50 lines i will get together anytime i think :mrgreen:

Bendix KMD150 shaped instru is ready, but i could need some electromechanics or i.t. tronicals or how theyre called^^

Do228 Cockpit update comming soon, if someone is interested or has experience with the KMD 150
feel free to descripe here or pm me

regards Tob
Cpt Goosnen

Re: Dornier DO228-212 NG, here it gets

Postby Johan G » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 pm

Cpt Goosnen wrote in Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 pm:...if someone is interested or has experience with the KMD 150
feel free to descripe here or pm me

Southeast Aerospace have a info page complete with a pilot guide and an installation manual (including a flight manual supplement) in both pdf format. Most Bendix/King pilot guides are excellent and often downright educational. :D

Doing a Google image search quickly had me realise that you definitively will not need a high resolution canvas. ;)

EDIT: I noted that the installation manual on page 19 have drawings with dimensions. :)

EDIT2: I am not that interested myself, but I truly enjoy digging up some gems from the big heap of information out there on the net, even more so if it might be of help for someone else. :wink: :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:05 am

Hey thats very cool big_THX Johan, this helps alot, u will get an example as soon as i have finished the case/screens (etc) thx!
And for so long dudes and duderellas have a look into the Do228 and report all issues, im low-end member 8) so i hope everything runs with all mashines...

<Download> 24 MB (last progress: 16.03.2014)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YpKINKgOQA comming soon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mU-YSk32I Do228 BoardingMusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfAw8ulhTiQ done^^ ( lands and takeoffs at VNLK Lukla)
Cpt Goosnen

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:51 am

Seems like a nice plane, but I'm trying to take off from Lukla VNLK's short runway and it doesn't want to get airborne before the runway ends, even with a 1/4 volume of fuel and 400 pounds passengers and baggage. Seems a bit either heavy or underpowered.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 pm

hy les
1. thanks for the compliment, i dont know why but shes a real timeeater i dont get a half of it forward as i want.......

2. yes it was very tricky but even with the old and bit less powered version i got in the air, i dont know if its just the wind dir, or my tecnics which i learned with the MD81 as i was spawned on a wrong and grassy airfield^^

I also dont know if its a real tecnic or if its just working with yasim, but if its short i let everything straight, no ele, no ail, just less rudder as i need and in the last maybe 100m (demands mainly to the flap retract time), i give full ele and flaps (mostly just step 2.. larger airplanes maybe step 3-or more)

and even with a very light + stronger NG i had nearly touched the hill in front of the rnwy, soo.. i ever dive some 100 meters after leaving the rnwy
EDIT: call me a lier, it just dives with default weight (12000pounds) round about at 10.000lbs it begins to stay straight (bit lift but no dive anymore)
and i had 7knts backwind

and the "hill" brings me to point 3:

i downloaded the scenery just a view days ago, and sanni; which has terrasync on i think, had a clearly other position of the Lukla airport....
so i can just test with low end + xp + never the same scenery elevation than the rest^^

but u are right its underpowered, it was a real torture to visit the mount everests top
it even has no real condition and pitsh systems, untill yet- but the hp should bee fitting i guess

just the manouverabillity maked me think about it^^
i have a little horror to change yasim wingdatas, so i thought earlier maybe to make it just powerfullier and i can visit Reykjavik

(wingdatas are mainly helijahs, i will rework it all and also as i said my balance isnt the very best, i need a better OS to achieve all FG "features" and some years of dealing with it, all i post and present here is just a base, everyone is free to take what ever him pleases or not and change it his way, NO u even shall do that, spoil it, ;) animations and Textures is what i mainly wanted to do, so all of my yasims are just a noobs try of flying^^ )

regards tob

ps: i have forgott to post here that nearly all major things are still to do here on this project, so feel free to do with this BASE what ever u want, we meet here again in 5 years when its finished^^

oh and 4.: i needed some restarts also at lukla, just to find the airport takes me one^^ (was comming from south)
Cpt Goosnen

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Well I think part of the deal with the real Lukla airport is it has a bit of an incline which probably helps with the takeoff. I've doctored the engines a bit and it does seem to leave the runway willingly with half flaps added at the 3/4's point and a gentle rotation. I'm pretty sure with the Hot and High conditions at Luckla you've got the pilot's being really careful about fuel and cargo/passenger weights. I doubt they're taking off with it at a MToW and I bet it's not even close to 2/3rds of the gross capacity.

Been playing around with the other Dornier the Do-28. Did you know that Dornier made a testbed of the wing, landing gear and engines used on the 228 on their Do-28? Pretty interesting looking plane. Probably much quieter too as the slab sides of the Do-28 made riding in one with recip engines an uncomfortably loud experience.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:49 am

has a bit of an incline which probably helps with the takeoff.
right

Luckla you've got the pilot's being really careful about fuel and cargo/passenger weights
right! i would go a step further and bet that there is an Light high altitude version or even the airlines which operate in this altitude, have cleaned everey unnacessary gramm out of there plains....

but would be interesting how much of the 17passenger seats they can fill....

and jepp the TNT experimental Do 28 was the first step to the 228 developement i think
shaped very well, like the most things before 90's :lol:
Cpt Goosnen

Postby ja sam niko » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Some landings at of this plane at Lukla ,end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TwLLkE5bz0

BTW,it's one of my favorite planes. Downloaded and ready for some flying.

Cheers
The worst floods in the Balkans ever,follow these links to learn more how to help. Thank you.
http://www.google.org/crisisresponse/2014-balkans-floods

http://www.mvp.gov.ba/HTML/eng-help.pdf
ja sam niko
Retired

Callsign: ex FGRS,now UAV001
Version: 2.8

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:47 am

hy sam,

hope it served well for you! I've seen this before, and its nearly exactly whats happend at my first landing there.....
since that^^ i am thinking about some crashed models (.ac files) like the bo105 has

cheers
Cpt Goosnen

Return to Aircraft