Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Robin DR400: JSBSim FDM, photorealistic cockpit / dashboard

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Robin DR400: JSBSim FDM, photorealistic cockpit / dashboard

Postby dany93 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:01 am

Hi,

The Robin DR400 has been largely recast with the JSBSim FDM.
- FDM: Apart from usual features, emphasis has been laid on crosswind landing (up to 22 kt), forward slip, slip-skid ball behavior. An experimental asymmetric stall simulation (stall and spin) is included.
- Fitting-out: The cockpit and dashboard have been improved with some new instruments, an efficient Garmin 196 GPS and photorealistic textures. New liveries are also available. Sounds, particularly for the engine, have been made closer to the real ones.

This work is still in progress, but if you wish to fly it, test it and maybe give your feelings, remarks: Robin DR400 JSBSim.

(the web page is in french with pictures, but guidelines are given in english for the links. The aircraft link is at the bottom, updated)

This aircraft does not replace the already existing one, that's just one more choice.

Dany, Patten
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Robin DR400: JSBSim FDM, photorealistic cockpit / dashbo

Postby Boeing » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:15 am

uhhh I can't find the download link on your site
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby jonsberndt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:55 am

Very pretty - well done.
Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby dany93 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks, Jon.

@ Boeing: Near the end of the page, just below 'Copy the Garmin196 folder into Data/Aircraft/Instruments-3d/', a turn indicator marked 'DOWNLOAD'.
Now, that's DR-400_240222012.zip. But better to download on the pattenflightgear's page because it's periodically updated.

Cheers,

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby eekpo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Josh
Last edited by eekpo on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eekpo
Retired

Postby jonsberndt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 am

I posted a link to this model on the JSBSim Facebook page (www.facebook.com/jsbsim).

Jon
Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby someguy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

It's beautiful, Dany. Unfortunately, at only 2 fps in Cockpit View, it's not flyable. If I disable all shaders, the frame rate leaps to 5 fps, but the frame spacing is still around half a second, effectively a jerky 2 fps. Maybe we need a "lite" version?
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby F-JJTH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi someguy,

Here I haven't this problem. I know many people who use this aircraft and nobody have this problem. Are you sure this happen only with this aircraft ? Have you tested in local (without multiplayer) ?

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby eekpo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:36 pm

eekpo team
Last edited by eekpo on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eekpo
Retired

Postby someguy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 am

Thanks, eekpo, but that made no difference; still 2 fps and 435 ms spacing. It's probably due to OpenGL calls not supported by my video card (Radeon HD 4670). There are a lot of models I can't keep in my Aircraft folder if I expect to have enjoyable flights, including virtually all the airliners. Too much detail, and no way to disable it. Plus, most authors seem to be too lazy to make AI models for MP, so I have to remove the models in case other pilots fly them.

Just because a feature is supported doesn't mean it's a good idea to (over)use it.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Thorsten » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm

I've finally managed to test-fly, some comments:

* 3d cockpit looks great, the FDM handles very nice (I haven't tried stalls yet, but it's fun to fly)
* some gauges seem troublesome, in particular I couldn't display ADF frequency properly (the ADF as such was showing the right direction, just the frequency I entered in the radio menu dialog wasn't shown in the cockpit), also is EGT showing correctly?
* I do not like the cockpit glass effect at all - it completely spoils the view to the side, and I think it is much overdone. Under some angles it also leads to rendering errors. I would ask that cockpit glass effects are made optional
* same thing with the pilot model - I find the had reaching to the throttle irritating - can we make the pilot optional?

All in all, a nice alternative to the Piper 24 as a single-prop aircraft to go sightseeing. Very positive overall impression.
Thorsten

Postby jeep » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm:I've finally managed to test-fly, some comments:

* 3d cockpit looks great, the FDM handles very nice (I haven't tried stalls yet, but it's fun to fly)
* some gauges seem troublesome, in particular I couldn't display ADF frequency properly (the ADF as such was showing the right direction, just the frequency I entered in the radio menu dialog wasn't shown in the cockpit), also is EGT showing correctly?
* I do not like the cockpit glass effect at all - it completely spoils the view to the side, and I think it is much overdone. Under some angles it also leads to rendering errors. I would ask that cockpit glass effects are made optional
* same thing with the pilot model - I find the had reaching to the throttle irritating - can we make the pilot optional?

All in all, a nice alternative to the Piper 24 as a single-prop aircraft to go sightseeing. Very positive overall impression.

the points 3 and 4 are optionnal, look at the Robin DR 400 / Options menu ;-) i also find the throttle irriting ...
jeep

Postby Thorsten » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:45 pm

I might not have the newest version then, I looked and didn't find such an option. Or maybe I was just blind...
Thorsten

Postby jeep » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:34 pm

jeep

Postby F-JJTH » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Thorsten,

You can download the last version on PAF team Hangar : http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com ... -de-la-paf
With the PAF team version you can have menu (as mentionned by jeep) and you can choose :
- enable/disable glass reflection
- show/hide pilot
- show/hide light cone
- show/hide yokes
EGT is not yet simulated but it comes soon. Fuel system need to be adapted for JSBSim (currently if we close the fuel valve, engine still running :( )

- Electrical system
- Lighting system (instruments light need some tune, it will be available for next release)
- Realist procedure (startup & shutdown)
- Throttle and mixture handle by "click&drag"
- Payload : (co)pilot, passengers and luggages
- GPS Garmin196 (need to be downloaded on PAF team Hangar : he is in merge request)

Have a good fly !

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Next

Return to Aircraft