Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

eurofighter typhoon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: eurofighter typhoon

Postby almursi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi, I'm working on right and left panels, and to start I made a photo-composition (not GPL) to get an idea of where everything has to go (If anyone is curious I send the link to the screenshots in private).
It is assumed that the final image (GPL) is the basis for placing the buttons you see in the picture (and for what I have collected some items that I serve as the base). But ... probably later weeks to finish (and perhaps only those two panels).
As for the changes posted by D. Faber on fgdata, I'm taking a look, but it seems to have a typo somewhere :)... seem to be missing some images not load correctly mfd screen. On the other hand had begun to develop a project linking the three mfd screens in a single file, to allow exchange of functions between them with ease.
Regards.
almursi

Callsign: EC-ALM
Version: Git

Postby :)ICECUBE:) » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 am

hi i know u are working on it, but i was wondering if u could consider some other options for improving on:

u could make the radar more visible
u could make it so that the typhoon can shoot stuff using keys such as 1+w (1wep) or 2+w or watever,
:)ICECUBE:)

Postby redneck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:11 pm

There's already talk about adding missiles and a cannon to the Typhoon. Just not in this forum afaik. Just thought I'd let you know.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Algernon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Yep, I'm currently working on ideas for selecting radar targets and allocating to the weapons and Auto Attack systems, and a few of us are working on the MFDs to make them more accurate to the Typhoon. I haven't really posted about it because personally I'm still getting ideas together, and officially I'm trying to focus on the FCS in time for the new FG release.

Not sure about the cannon, but I think most non-RAF purchasers have it so no doubt it ought to go in.
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby :)ICECUBE:) » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

cant wait to download the new version with wepons.
remind me when its ready (lol i look at this thread everyday to check)

Postby Algernon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 am

Don't hold your breath!

Actually firing missiles is a pretty long way off, after all FlightGear is not really about combat and as it currently stands, firing a missile at someone would be pretty pointless. I'd like to be able to try out the Typhoon in a realistic combat situation, but in truth, that would be pretty boring in my view - get within a hundred miles, select your target, fire the missile, get lost. And I personally can't see the point of a cannon on this aircraft.

I'm personally interested in (getting close to) simulating the cockpit technology concerned with modern fighter radar and computer systems, not the actual weapon launch itself. As far as I know, the dev team have a quite a few things to work on before a working, destructive weapons system.

So if I were you, I'd check back every month instead of every day. :)
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby xiii » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 pm

There are plenty of cool radar features that could be achieved using the f16 radar system (same as the f-14b radar but a bit cleaner). The A-10 RWR already takes advantage of this radar system, the Tomcat AIM-9 system (which tries to simulate an IR seaker) is also based on it. Note that these radar system are designed to simulate aircraft RCS and so make a difference between a liner and a stealthy fighter. They also can be set in stand-by mode so they are not seen by other aircraft. Even their scanning pattern can be modeled.

My two cents,
Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby :)ICECUBE:) » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:42 pm

hi, i love the typhhon not because of its missiles and stuff,
i just love the radar and how it can spot things miles away.
so i 'cant wait to download' the version with radars and a cockpit like the f14

Postby Algernon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:41 am

xiii wrote:There are plenty of cool radar features that could be achieved using the f16 radar system (same as the f-14b radar but a bit cleaner).

As far as I know, the radar system you describe is the one used in the Typhoon already. The MFDs don't display it in the same way at the moment (or more likely don't work), but the various screens are built in. I'm working on the concept of controlling that radar with a custom built radar management system which emulates the Typhoon's AIS (Attack and Identification System) to a realistic degree, relaying information to the HUD, MFD Radar and Situation Analysis pages, autopilot and weapons. I've made a few brief Nasal forays into this concept and had some good results so far.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby :)ICECUBE:) » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:52 am

is there auto object select like the harrier?

Postby Algernon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:51 am

Like moving the target into your boresight to select? I daresay that mode could be available, but the work I've done so far works on a preselect basis - four keys, or a joystick hat if preferred, are used, two to cycle through targets, and once a target is preselected, two more to assign either to the weapons systems or the Autotrack function. The system should be able to make basic target reccomendation, though, as it will be tied in with the IFF/Transponder I've been playing with.

Once I've completed the FCS and version 2.1 is out, I'm hoping to make a start on all of these things, so keep your eye on it :)
Algernon
Algernon

Postby DFaber » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Algernon wrote:
xiii wrote:There are plenty of cool radar features that could be achieved using the f16 radar system (same as the f-14b radar but a bit cleaner).

As far as I know, the radar system you describe is the one used in the Typhoon already.

I'm afraid not, it's a slightly modified Harrier Radar, which was the only one available back then.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby Algernon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:18 pm

radar2.nas is, I'm sure, in the aircraft folder, if not implemented yet. From what I can tell, it seems to be the most advanced radar script I've seen yet, but my ability to tell such things just from looking at the code is quite limited! :) I'm going to look into it a bit this evening, and I'd welcome a discussion about the best way to implement a simulation of the Typhoon's radar and Attack and Identification System (especially as it's tied in with many of the MFD pages, which DFaber has started working on and produced some nice results).
Algernon
Algernon

Postby almursi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Indeed, the radar is based on an older version of the Harrier, and I only changed the script to add this option:
Code: Select all
<radar-standby type="int">1</radar-standby>

You can edit the file-set to set this value to 0, and that the radar is active from the beginning (the boresign works like the harrier).

Advancing the radar is the idea (and add more features) but is an issue that is currently parked, since there are still many other things to tune, but maybe I could spend time in it when current job ends. Now I am focused trying to put the buttons on the sides and give them some functionality, so that we no longer need to open any menu to turn on the lights (and radar!), the engine (in terms of progress in that aspect), etc. Regards.
almursi

Callsign: EC-ALM
Version: Git

Postby redneck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 am

Checking out the git-compatible AP version. I have found that the AP, in pitch mode, responds rather slowly when I set a certain pitch.
EDIT: All pitch/altitude functions are rather slow.
PS: I'm using the pre-release.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft