Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

eurofighter typhoon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: eurofighter typhoon

Postby snipey » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:04 pm

fgfdm.cpp is part of the source code. to use that you have to use a different git repository and recompile flightgear afterwards.
snipey

Callsign: snipey
Version: GIT

Postby Algernon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Ah okay, thanks Snipey, I think that's probably rather beyond me at the moment. But I just edited my post, I discovered that actually, the method I'm using doesn't require an extra surface so we can have both without any further work.
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby DFaber » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi everybody,

I've just added an improved multi page MFD to the Typhoon in Git. Buttons labelling changes according to the page selected and screens can be interactive as well. For now it can switch the Engine, Fuel Enav and Hydraulics page (the letter doesn't do a thing though). I left the Radar Display on the right MFD, because it will most likely be completely rewritten before it can be incorporated. Creating and linking pages together is quite simple, once you know how the pages are linked in the real Aircraft.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:44 pm

DFaber wrote:I've just added an improved multi page MFD to the Typhoon in Git.

I've only just got a chance to try this out. Unfortunately, on my Ubuntu FG, I have multiple graphics issues, most likely owing to the very poor OpenGL support on my very poor graphics chip, and the MFD has some size and alignment issues on it, but I get the idea - looks just like the Flugzeugforum diagram, really good stuff. I'd quite like to have a crack at a page if you wouldn't mind!

My problem is, when using Windows, the models for both the left and centre MFDs are missing from the cockpit - I'm looking through the code now, but if anyone has any ideas why this might happen in Windows but not in Ubuntu, I'd be grateful for an idea of where to look.
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Hey Typhoon fans, hope everything's going well in RL. We've been pretty quiet in this thread, so I thought I'd post an update of what I've been working on, and what I'm planning, for your much-needed feedback and comments.

Flight Control System
I'm getting somewhere now, in making as realistic an FCS as possible. Naturally, little is known about how the real aircraft's FCS functions, only what it does, so I'm mostly guessing, but the system I have operating in my experimental Typhoon works pretty well. There's still quite a bit of tweaking and a fair bit of maths (ugh) to do, but I'm pleased with it thus far.

The system is based around a central PID controller which sends commands to the control surfaces whenever the pilot's joystick is in its dead zone (assuming the FCS Override button in the cockpit is not pressed) - the parameters which define the dead zone are configurable, to allow customisation to the pilot's particular joystick or preference. When the joystick enters the deadzone, the current pitch and roll attitudes are maintained by the controller, allowing the pilot to remove his hand from the stick with predictable results. The Autopilot is a subsystem of the FCS, and sends information to the central controller when the relevant modes are selected - in this way, the pilot can override the autopilot with joystick movements along one or both axes. When the axis or axes enter the deadzone, the aircraft will return to automatic flight on the predetermined route. A simple Nasal script cancels the autopilot's vertical and lateral modes, and this can be mapped to a joystick button, so that in an emergency, the pilot can command a change of attitude with the joystick and cancel the AP with a button at their leisure. One interesting side effect is that, because the FCS must be able to operate correctly when the aircraft is inverted, the central controller senses inverted roll attitudes and inverts the aileron commands accordingly - I flew 60 miles with the aircraft inverted in the Terrain Following Radar autopilot mode, watching it follow the terrain inverted at 100 feet was pretty gratifying, even if I cannot think of a single realistic application for this "feature" :)

Engine Start and Stop
I think I have a concept for this, and would be interested to hear if anybody else has been musing on the issue. I'm in the process of getting my ideas into a definite plan, which I'll write up later this evening and post here, but I'd love to know if anyone has any good ideas for making this work so we can decide where to go with it.

Cheers all :)
Algernon
Algernon

Postby FlyingFox » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey, just a quick thing - I've flown the Typhoon a bit, but I always seem to have a problem: when I load up FG, all the menus appears as grey areas without any text in them. There are also no sounds (and a weird thing, where the sky looks foggy, except for certain 'windows' where it's clear - these rotate with the direction I'm looking in). I'm using FG 2.0 and I've tried loading all the variants of the Typhoon - the only one where this didn't happen was with the file dl'ed from the FG aircraft page (at least I think that was the one) - then the 3d model was invisible, but everything else was fine. I'm on a Black MacBook, which has onboard graphics (GMA X3100), so that may be part of the problem (that said, I am able to run all other planes normally).

Awesome plane btw - it flies like a dream! :D
FlyingFox

Postby Algernon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:19 am

FlyingFox wrote:Awesome plane btw - it flies like a dream! :D

Doesn't it just? Great job by the FDM chaps, and glad you like it! :) Shame, then, about your GUI issues - I must admit they are completely new to me, have never heard of that before. And not really sure where to start a diagnosis - does anyone else have similar issues?
Algernon
Algernon

Postby FlyingFox » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Just in case it helps (and since a picture's worth 1,000 words) here's a screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As I mentioned earlier, there's also no sound.
FlyingFox

Postby Algernon » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 pm

That's a really old Typhoon by the looks of things, and no sound backs that up too. I know it's a silly question, but are you using the latest version, as posted here a few pages back? It's been significantly improved recently.

Does anyone else find their multiplayer is broken and returning a good number of Nasal errors in the command window? I'm going to try and solve this today, but just wondered if anybody else has it? Last time I GITted my fgdata folder the problem prevailed, so I'm assuming it's not just me. Either way, it seems to cause problems for the pilot list and might explain why my radar just stopped working one day.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby FlyingFox » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Algernon wrote:That's a really old Typhoon by the looks of things, and no sound backs that up too. I know it's a silly question, but are you using the latest version, as posted here a few pages back? It's been significantly improved recently.

Does anyone else find their multiplayer is broken and returning a good number of Nasal errors in the command window? I'm going to try and solve this today, but just wondered if anybody else has it? Last time I GITted my fgdata folder the problem prevailed, so I'm assuming it's not just me. Either way, it seems to cause problems for the pilot list and might explain why my radar just stopped working one day.

Yes, that was an old version! :oops: I believe I am using the right one now, though. I found that using --disable-skyblend made the fog problems go away (although it made all fog go away as well), but no joy on the menu errors. Also in the newer version, I am able to hear the sound.
FlyingFox

Postby Algernon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Hmmm, well we have added some dialogs to the GUI on the Typhoon, if that menu error only happens on this aircraft then perhaps something we've done is incompatible with the Mac version.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Just talking to redneck on MP, and it occurred to me for most people, the G tolerance flying the Typoon is about 3.5 - 5G before blacking out. The quickest way to change this, if it becomes a nuisance, is to add the following to the relevant -set.xml:
Code: Select all
<rendering>
   <redout>
    <parameters>
    <blackout-onset-g>9.5</blackout-onset-g>
    <blackout-complete-g>11.5</blackout-complete-g>
    <redout-onset-g>-4.5</redout-onset-g>
    <redout-complete-g>-6</redout-complete-g>
   </parameters>
   </redout>
  </rendering>

This is somewhat more like it when wearing the sort of advanced G-suit worn by Typhoon pilots.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby almursi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 am

Hi, I must admit that I have taken a long break ... but have only been 30 days "off." I'm afraid to take a while to catch up, at least as far as concerns unread messages, but I think it will work better after the break ... for example, to the cockpit textures, which had stalled for lack of ideas to overcome the problems with the GPL (that is, I guess I will paint a bit ...). Greetings
almursi

Callsign: EC-ALM
Version: Git

Postby redneck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 am

The G-suit isn't working. I think I installed it wrong. Btw, does the advanced G-suit really make it more difficult to redout? I always thought they only protected from blackout.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Algernon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm fairly certain modern G-suits also prevent red out to some extent by trapping blood in the legs, however the limit for redout is still much lower than blackout.

Welcome back, Almursi, and nice to see you in the air yesterday :) I'm working all day today, but hopefully I'll get a chance to bring you up to speed on the project later tonight. Not a massive amount has happened :)
Algernon
Algernon

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft