Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Graphics issues

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Graphics issues

Postby tsb47 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi all,

I just did a fresh compile of fgfs on Ubuntu 13.10 using the download and compile script and I'm getting weird colours on some objects. Can someone help?

Cheers,

tsb47
tsb47

Callsign: ZK-TSB
Version: 2.10

Re: Graphics issues

Postby AndersG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Some effects/shader programs apparently fail to run correctly, try reducing the quality slider in the in-game View->Rendering Options dialog to switch to simpler shader programs (and ultimately the fixed function pipeline).

This might not have anything to do with the actual performance potential of your card as different graphics card vendors have interpreted the OpenGL GLSL language differently - the shader program in question was probably written and tested on systems with Nvidia cards. You might have useful error/warning messages from the OpenGL driver in the console or in ~/.fgfs/fgfs.log that can help the shader program writer to improve portability.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Re: Graphics issues

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Do I read the graphics card correctly as ATI from the few pixels on the screenshot?
Did this work before you recompiled?

I've seen one case of ATI producing black buildings for ALS rendering (or black clouds in default rendering) being reported after a driver upgrade under Linux - could this be similar?

Did you update video driver - could you go back a version?

Without any errors or warnings, that's pretty much unfixable for me as I don't have an ATI card to test (and I do remember that the model shader code was running correctly on ATI hardware for the last version, and to my knowledge it hasn't been touched since).

ATI under Linux is just an endless source of frustration for coding effects...
Thorsten

Return to Graphics