Board index FlightGear Support Flying

What does "minimums" mean?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

What does "minimums" mean?

Postby Merik » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 am

While landing with b1900d, I hear the altitude messages (like 800, 700, 600 etc). Once I reach 20, I hear "20" message and "minimums" message at the same time. The "minimums" sound is not played at any other altitude. What does that mean?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Re: What does "minimums" mean?

Postby Gijs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:14 am

Merik wrote:While landing with b1900d, I hear the altitude messages (like 800, 700, 600 etc). Once I reach 20, I hear "20" message and "minimums" message at the same time. The "minimums" sound is not played at any other altitude. What does that mean?

Minimums is called at the heighest altitude, at which you should be able to see the runway, also called decission height. If you do not have visuals at this time, you must execute a missed approach and try again. The decision height depends on the category of the ILS that you're following nad has to be set by the pilot (don't know the switch in the B1900D, but I believe the default is 200).

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Merik » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks for informative reply. I guess there should be a rule about the speed of the aircraft at this "minimum" height, so that it could successfully do a missed approach if needed, right?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby Tuxklok » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Well, normally you would be at your aircrafts approach speed preparing to land the aircraft... ;)

Minimums vary depending on airport, approach type, aircraft type, etc. You can find the minimum decent altitude on the approach plates along with all the other relevant info for the approach.

cheers
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Return to Flying