Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

just downloaded FlightGear, why won't it run?

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

just downloaded FlightGear, why won't it run?

Postby edamame123 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 am

I just downloaded FlightGear and the window opens and it lets me chose everything but when I click the blue button that says "Start flight," nothing happens. I am not really familiar with programming so please if anyone could explain to me how to fix this problem in simplest terms, that would be great! Also, if I get it to work, when downloading planes, scenery, etc..., how do you make sure the files transfer into the game so that you can use the downloaded content. Thanks for everyones help!
edamame123

Re: just downloaded FlightGear, why won't it run?

Postby VicMar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 am

Hi edamame123,

As you have placed your question in the Mac section I'm assuming you have a Mac. It helps if you tell us exactly what Mac you have, memory, video card etc.

Which version of FG are you using, and where did you download it from?

When you press the 'Start Flight' button, what exactly happens? If you get absolutely nothing, it may have been a bad download.
Do you get a screen with the FlightGear startup info on it? If 'Yes' look near the bottom of that screen and hopefully you'll see a little spinner, which means it is loading your selections. That takes a fair time the first time you use FG.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby themadgreek » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 am

Possible fix: Check that the command-line options under "others" are blank (if they're not, they could be causing the problem). Start it, if it works, re-enter your command line options and make sure they're correct.

Also, try putting this in terminal and let me know if it works:
exec /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/MacOS/fgfs
themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby Avionyx » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 am

I had this problem previously. Sounds like it can't find the path to the fgfs file.
Try what themadgeek suggested and see where that gets you then we will move forward from there.

All the best,

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Return to Mac