Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

How can I add all the scenery?  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

How can I add all the scenery?

Postby tazook10 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Hello, I saw that you have to add the scenery in 8x8 boxes. Canada alone is like 60 boxes. How can I download it all using 1 link. Unfortunately, I am no currently interested in purchasing the scenery on 3 cds. Thanks for the help.
tazook10

Re: How can I add all the scenery?

Postby Gijs » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Have you looked at TerraSync? That's most likely your preferred option, as it automatically downloads&installs scenery as you fly over the world. This has the added advantage that you don't get scenery that you'll never use (you're simply not going to visit every single place in the world). See http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraSync

Another option is to download the scenery in parts (much bigger than 10x10 degrees) through Bittorent: http://terasaur.org/item/show/flightgear-v2-12/6697
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: How can I add all the scenery?  

Postby Alant » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:32 am

Which begs the question. Why do you need the whole of the earth? Are you really going to explore the Amazon, the Himalayas, the Sahara desert, both Poles and all of the Pacific Islands?

Unless you are collector of everything, all you need are the tiles that cover the area in which you are thinking of flying over.

If you download the lot all you will do is add to the profits of hard disk manufacturers.

Terrsasync will provide areas that you fly into and don´t have locally - and the data will be more recent than a tile that you downloaded a few months previously.

It is however a good idea to manually download tiles is when you want to start at flight at an airfield that is outside your current downloaded area. Terrasync can cope with this, but a manual download before the flight is often simpler.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Return to Mac