Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Unable to get Scenery to work

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Unable to get Scenery to work

Postby Teddy408 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi guys,

I've been trawling the forums and wider web for a solution to this but can't find one. It could just be me being an idiot.

I downloaded the world scenery by BitTorrent. I first off tried to install it using the quick install method through the FG start up menu/other options box. This just led to nothing apart from the pinwheel for two hours. When it finally disappeared I tried to launch the sim at EGLL, no luck I just ended up in the ocean. I attempted to start in several locations around the globe, but still the same problem.

I then tried to install the files manually, copying the unpackaged folders to the scenery folder in the FG Applications/FG/Resources/Data/Scenery folder. This took forever, and yet it still doesn't work!

Does anyone have any clues? I cannot use TerraSync due to bandwidth restrictions and the fact I would like to play offline.

Thanks in advance.

Info: Running FG 2.10 on:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Teddy408

Re: Unable to get Scenery to work

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:31 am

Moving properly unpacked scenery folders into the Scenery directory should do the trick just fine.

Short of damaged files (which doesn't seem the case, since they seem to unpack fine) usually scenery problems are caused by one of the following:

1) FG thinks the scenery is in a different path than you installed it in - check your launcher/commandline options and compare with the actual folder structure

2) FG may not have permissions to read the Scenery files - check read-write permissions in the scenery folder

3) The scenery is installed in the correct folder, but has a messed-up directory structure (happens with custom scenery sometimes) - check that the directory is actually ~/Scenery/Terrain/e000n40/ (where Terrain/ is should also be Objects/ and Airports/, and replace e000n40 with any valid coordinates).
Thorsten

Return to Mac