Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Mutliple Scenery Paths in Mac OS?

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Mutliple Scenery Paths in Mac OS?

Postby Gordon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 am

I'm trying to install custom scenery (objects only) on FG 2.8 for Mac, but I'm having a problem specifying the pathways.

According to what I've read on the forums and in the wiki, I should be able to have separate directories for custom scenery and world scenery (i.e., scenery I downloaded from the FlightGear homepage), plus the scenery FG downloads from TerraSync, which I can configure by a command line in the launcher so that FG runs the custom scenery first, then the world scenery, and then the TerraSync. However, if I enter

--fg-scenery=Applications/FlightGear/FG2.8.0/CustomScenery;Applications/FlightGear/FG2.8.0/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery

(the path for custom scenery, followed by the path for world scenery), FG goes directly to the world scenery in data/scenery. In fact, even if I enter only

--fg-scenery=Applications/FlightGear/FG2.8.0/CustomScenery

it still goes straight to the world scenery, without using any of the custom scenery. What I am doing wrong?

(Terrasync is a whole different problem, and I'm not even trying to use it in FG 2.8, so I'm not including it in my parameters. But I imagine it's a similar problem.)

I know the custom scenery works because it shows up if I go into the world scenery object folder .stg file, manually add the OBJECT_STATIC info, and put the .ac and texture files in the same folder. But I'm trying to avoid going into the world scenery .stg files and start editing, because TerraSync will try to overwrite the files--or so I understand from the forums.
Gordon

Re: Mutliple Scenery Paths in Mac OS?

Postby zakalawe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 am

Silly thing, the paths need to be absolute, not relative, so try /Applications and I think it should all work exactly as you want.

And, I should make the code complain about relative paths which are being skipped.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Gordon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work--regardless of whether I start the path for custom scenery with --fg-scenery=Applications or --fg-scenery=/Applications, it still just loads the same old world scenery from the data/scenery folder.

I also tested it on both FG 2.8.0 and FG 2.10.0, which I just downloaded today. No difference.

Any other ideas?
Gordon

Postby zakalawe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 pm

If you run with --log-level=info, is there any interesting log output, eg about paths not being found?
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Gordon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 am

Ah-ha. Here's what the log says when I start up on FG 2.10:

fg_root = /Applications/FlightGear/FG2.10.0/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/../Resources/data
Reading global preferences
Finished Reading global preferences
Reading user settings from /Users/Gordon/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/autosave.xml
aircraft = ufo
Loading aircraft -set file from:/Applications/FlightGear/FG2.10.0/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/../Resources/data/Aircraft/ufo/ufo-set.xml
System language: <unavailable>
Unable to detect system language
Found language resource for: C
Reading localized strings for 'en' from /Applications/FlightGear/FG2.10.0/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/../Resources/data/Translations/en/sys.xml
scenery path not found:/Applications/FlightGear/CustomScenery;/Applications/FlightGear/FG2.10.0/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery
Setting geometry to 1440x900

Thanks for your help!
Gordon

Postby Gordon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:06 pm

I think I found the problem--different directories should be separated by a colon (:), not a semi-colon (;), at least in a Mac. So the correct pathway is:

--fg-scenery=/Applications/FlightGear/CustomScenery:/Applications/FlightGear/FG2.10.0/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery

This works, enabling me to see the custom scenery objects in addition the world scenery objects. I assume I could also add a pathway for TerraSync to get the latest objects from the scenery database, though I haven't tried this yet.

The problem now is that some of the custom scenery objects (airport terminals, etc.) are positioned right on top objects from the world scenery--which (I think) still means I need to go into the world scenery .stg file to re-position (or delete) certain objects if I'd rather use the custom ones. Except I'm afraid TerraSync would put the objects right back where they were before I edited them.

Any suggestions on how to handle conflicts (e.g.., overlapping objects) from multiple scenery paths?
Gordon

Return to Mac