Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Some scenery installation problems.  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Some scenery installation problems.

Postby Luna » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 pm

OSX 10.8.2
Flightgear 2.8.1
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

I downloaded FlightGear 2.8.1 with all 2.8 aircraft and 2.8 scenery via torrent.
I installed the game and used the ingame add-on installer for adding all aircraft and all the scenery files.
It works fine for the aircraft and scnery files exxxxxx.tgz and wxxxxxx.tgz but I can't install Airports.tgz and SharedModels.tgz (and Sha256sum but I guess that isn't meant to be installed), the install hangs for hours and then I get an error, for example:

Error occurs during installing the following file:
/Users/Pascal/Downloads/Scenery-v2.8.0/SharedModels.tgz
Error message is:
Models/Residential/LFPO003.png has multiple destinations

Then a second message saying the file wasn't installed.
I got two different ones for Airports.tgz, one saying the file was damaged, another saying the paths aren't correct.
Again followed by a second message saying the file wasn't installed.

How can I install these two files anyway? Copying into the file structure inside the FlightGear app?
What goes where and do I overwrite existing files or keep the version of the file already present inside the app?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A somewhat related question: I ordered the full DVD set this afternoon hoping that a working version of these two files would be on there.
I wonder, when I receive the DVDs should I install the DVD version of the app, aircraft and scenery or is that exactly the same as what I downoaded?
Is there anything more on the DVDs that is not included in the downloads?

Thanks,

Luna
Luna

Re: Some scenery installation problems.

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Welcome to FlightGear! :)

Luna wrote in Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 pm:can't install Airports.tgz and SharedModels.tgz

Shared Models go into $fg_root/fgdata/Models, so it's best to unpack it and copy it's content there.
As for Airports, unpack it too! These go into your scenery-folder, where you have the complete 2.8-scenery installed. Put it besides Terrain and Objects.

I also recommend reading up in the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/ and search for scenery... :wink:
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Luna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the answer Chris.

I have been searching in the wiki but I couldn't find any post that directed me to the correct locations of the files for the OSX version.

fg_root/fgdata isn't a path I can find as well.

I did some searching inside the Flightgear app container and put the files here: (all subfolders of the actual app container)
/contents/resources/data/models is where I put the unpacked model files, I combined them with the ones already present.
/contents/resources/data/scenery/airports is where I put the unpacked airports files, combined them as well with the files already present. This is also the directory where all the other scenery files (exxxsxx and wxxxsxx) ended up that I installed with the built-in installer and where indeed the terrain and objects folders are located as well.
I also put the airports.tgz file into /contents/resources/data/airports, not sure if that's any use.

I also wanted to use the automatic scenery download feature but I simply can't enable it in thew options inside the game. (I can't tick the box to enable it.) I also wouldn't know where or how to direct it it to or create a directory for the downloaded scenery. Same problem as above, the wiki doesn't state how to do that for the Mac version and if it does the paths are wrong.
Luna

Postby chris_blues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

So, you indeed found the right places for the files! :)

$fg_root is a variable, used to express the root-directory, where you have your FG installed into. In my case $fg_root would translate to "/media/FlightGear/git/install/fgfs" since this is the place, where all the programs and data is stored. Now, my Airports-folder would be in $fg_root/fgdata/Airports which translates to /media/FlightGear/git/install/fgfs/ fgdata/Airports.
In your case $fg_root seems to be: /contents/resources/
So much for $fg_root :)

This opens when I type "scenery" in the wiki's search field: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scenery
There you'll find a link to -> installing scenery: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Install_scenery
There you'll find a link to -> terrasync: http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraSync

So, a lot of useful information on the wiki!

About terrasync.
As you will read in the wiki-articles above, it's a good idea to keep different sceneries separated / in different folders. So don't touch the scenery-folder inside $fg_root/fgdata/Scenery!!! Instead create a new folder somewhere else. In my case, this would be /media/FlightGear/scenery/terrasync (compare to the path I mentioned above!) (/media/FlightGear is a hard disk) plus /media/FlightGear/scenery/world-scenery/
Now, how you activate terrasync depends on the way you start FG. (fgrun, fgo, terminal etc) Again, the wiki holds information about that too: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Fli ... front_ends

Cheers!
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby Luna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for the detailed fgroot explanation Chris, I know how to find my way now, so much easier when I find stuff on the wiki.

I managed to get Terrasync running as well by activating an option in the front end (not sure which one though, the one that comes standard when you download the mac version of FlightGear, FGFS I think) which then automatically enabled the option inside the sim and chose a directory for Terrasync itself, not inside the app but in the OSX user library. Works fine and I can see the folders filling as I try new airports.

Nice to finally have found a global flightsim for OSX and the number of planes available is overwhelming!
Luna

Postby chris_blues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Glad to be of help! :)

..and don't forget to mark the topic as solved... :wink:

Happy flying!
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby f-ojac » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 pm

This means you can't use Terrasync ?
f-ojac

Postby chris_blues » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 am

I'd say he has figured it out.... :)
...as I understand it...
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby Luna » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 am

Yep, I did, so Terrasync is working.
Whenever I go for a flight with the Terrasync option enabled the Terrasync folders are filling up with new files. Pretty nice.
Luna

Return to Mac