Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

How to get 2.6.0 r319 running on OSX 10.8

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

How to get 2.6.0 r319 running on OSX 10.8

Postby gral » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi all

FlightGear seems not to be supported by OSX 10.8 (mountain lion) anymore. Hey Apple ! :evil: There is an important open source library missing for FlightGear since 10.8 default install: "Subversion" (svn). OSX users will be able to start FlightGear, but when you click on "Start Flight" in the Application window nothing happens and an error is thrown in background, saying libsvn-client.1.0.dyld is missing. Also people will not be able to use built-in scenery download anymore and metar weather fetch is broken too.

I'm sure the next version of Macflightgear will care about this and pack the subversion libraries into the application bundle, so FlightGear will run as expected.

Meantime I can provide a small patch here to make Macflightgear 2.6.0 (r319) running on OSX 10.8. You need to follow this guide exactly, point for point, otherwise you won't get a running FlightGear anymore on your machine. There is absolutely NO WARRANTY for the provided software and this guide here*. Be careful please, and never blame me for providing help for the impatient.

Step 1: Most important! Make a copy of your "FlightGear" Application and backup this copy to a safe place

Step 2: Create a new folder, download this two zips, lib-svn.zip and macflgr-bins.zip

Step 3: Unzip this archives. In the lib-svn folder you will find 14 files starting with "lib..." and in the folder "macflgr-bins" you will find the files "fgfs", "metar" and "terrasync"

Step 4: Right click on "FlightGear" Application icon and choose "Show Package Contents". Double click on "Contents".

Step 5: Move the 14 files from lib-svn folder into the folder "Frameworks"

Step 6: Move "fgfs", "metar" and "terrasync" to the folder "Resources", overwrite the existing files.

Step 7: Close all windows. Double click on "FlightGear", click "Start Flight" and fly away.

*For the experts: I only changed linking with install_name_tool -change. Same applies for the binaries, I took the macflightgear origin and changed links only with install_name_tool. There is NO OTHER CHANGE to the libraries or binaries. Subversion is linked now to "Frameworks" in the application bundle and don't need to be installed system wide like Macflightgear origin is shipped for 10.5/6/7. This might be the easiest solution for the mountain lion users for the moment.

Cheers, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Return to Mac