Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Help using FlightGear for the first time! - For Beginners

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Help using FlightGear for the first time! - For Beginners

Postby ThomasMatt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Hello, I am new using FlightGear and I do have to say it's very complicated in game. But it looks really nice and I'm sure when getting used to the game, it will be fun. Though at the moment, I am experiencing some problems which many other beginners may encounter also.

My specs are:

Apple iMac 27"
Processor: 2.7Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

So my iMac is new this year, but the game isn't working to well after I modified a few things.

I read a few forums on how to Change or Add scenery, and I downloaded the United Kingdom Scenery with: http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/ ... 010n50.tgz
I then installed it using the *Install Add On Data* Then a message said *Completed* but then when I loaded the 717 and Nottingham East Midlands, the plane lands in water.

Second on this, when I press ESC and exit, I get an error. and this is using FlightGear 2.4.0 Which is supposed to be able to run with OSX Lion,
I then tried to install the Airports of the downloads page, and a few more planes - but they don't seemed to be have finished off and yet again they crash into the water also.

I am only a *noob* but please help all of us *noobs* out there out :')

Many thanks
ThomasMatt

Re: Help using FlightGear for the first time! - For Beginner

Postby Sealbhach » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am

Hi, sorry that nobody has answered you so far. I don't use a Mac so I don't really know if I can help you. One of the things about an open source project like Flightgear is that you get to use it for free but you're also expected to try to help yourself as much as you can. This scenery thing is probably a matter of not having the correct paths in the Fgrun wizard or not copying scenery folders into the corrrect place.

Perhaps it would help if you look through the Flightgear Wiki and see if you can find out what's wrong yourself: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Install_scenery

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy using Flightgear.

Sealbhach

Re: Help using FlightGear for the first time! - For Beginner

Postby VicMar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Thomasmatt,

Like Saalbach I appologise for not seeing your questions earlier.

If you have got into a bit of a knot trying to get the scenery you need, the best way to go is to check the little box on the front of the Mac Launcher which says "Load scenery of the fly".

That will enable Scenery-TerraSync, and add a new folder to your 'data' file. Having TerraSync enabled means you get the very latest scenery models added each day, rather than having to wait until the next official scenery release. This downloads the scenery as you fly towards the area. Initially, when you want to start at an airport where you have not flown before, you will find yourself sitting on water. This is normal. You will get the scenery if you wait for a couple of minutes (this always feels like an hour or two). Alternatively you can quit FG, then start your flight again. The airport will be there at your 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Regarding quitting, I always just click off the flight screen with the extreme left red button. This tends to shortcut all the messing about you are experiencing.

Don't hesitate to ask if you still have problems.

HTH.
Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

http://www.vicmar.weebly.com
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 3.0.0

Return to Mac