Board index FlightGear Support Installation

"loading scenery objects"

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 pm

It's hard to provide any useful help without having as much information as possible about your platform and the settings or circumstances involved.

Having to explicitly ask for every bit of information makes this unnecessarily tedious, and few people will probably bother posting if they have to ask even for the most obvious information, like for example the type of graphics card, or amount of RAM.

So if you are hoping for someone to chime in trying to help you get something sorted, it's generally a good idea to provide at least the obvious information about your machine (hardware/OS/software).

So, I really have no idea if this helps at all, but here are some ideas and questions to hopefully get a better idea of might be going on:

  • Were you ever before able to run the same version of FG without experiencing this problem on the same machine?
  • Have you enhanced or customized any aspect of your FlightGear standard installation, such as for example by installing additional scenery or aircraft?
  • Is the same problem also occuring on a fresh install of FlightGear, by just using the default settings?
  • How big is your graphics card's texture memory (dedicated and shared)?
  • Would all of you happen to be using a machine with a single core processor (FG/OSG uses much more threading than FG/plib did)?
  • Are all users who are affected by this problem using ATI cards?
  • If so, which ATI cards specifically?
  • Is this problem even occuring (or in any way affected) when you start up in areas without any scenery at all (ocean, just startup in an area without installed scenery) and a simple aircraft like the UFO?
  • Is the loading time in any way related to having AI traffic enabled or disabled?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby argyle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Hooray wrote:It's hard to provide any useful help without having as much information as possible about your platform and the settings or circumstances involved.

Having to explicitly ask for every bit of information makes this unnecessarily tedious, and few people will probably bother posting if they have to ask even for the most obvious information, like for example the type of graphics card, or amount of RAM.

So if you are hoping for someone to chime in trying to help you get something sorted, it's generally a good idea to provide at least the obvious information about your machine (hardware/OS/software).

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3169&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p31449
argyle
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes, it is obvious that you actually did provide some of the information, and I did notice that before - so it's unlikely that I was referring to you, still providing some of the info that you didn't post would have been far more informative than posting a link to your earlier posting...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:14 pm

argyle wrote:I have had this problem (taking a long time to get past "loading scenery objects") ever since the migration to OSG. P-Lib loaded fast and once I get past the loading in OSG, the sim runs pretty smooth and everything seems to load properly. I have made multiple posts about it as well and nobody seems to know what the problem is.


When you say "takes a long time to get past loading scenery objects", how long does it take usually?
Do you have a single or multi core system?
And have you tried increasing the log level to see what's actually happening during those minutes?
I mean, what output do you get to see, what subsystems are running then?
You could either redirect the shell output to a file or just interrupt the startup at some point in order to easily copy/paste the log messages here.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Okay, I think I found now you original thread describing the problem: viewtopic.php?t=2122
Are there any other threads or postings related to this one?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Another thing to try: if the loading time isn't that long when starting in a non-scenery area, try reinitializing the position using the "location" menu to got to a scenery-rich place (KSFO) and see how long it takes then, also make sure to post anything unusual you may see in the console window.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby argyle » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 am

Hooray wrote:
argyle wrote:I have had this problem (taking a long time to get past "loading scenery objects") ever since the migration to OSG. P-Lib loaded fast and once I get past the loading in OSG, the sim runs pretty smooth and everything seems to load properly. I have made multiple posts about it as well and nobody seems to know what the problem is.


When you say "takes a long time to get past loading scenery objects", how long does it take usually?
Do you have a single or multi core system?
And have you tried increasing the log level to see what's actually happening during those minutes?
I mean, what output do you get to see, what subsystems are running then?
You could either redirect the shell output to a file or just interrupt the startup at some point in order to easily copy/paste the log messages here.


It varies. Haven't timed it though, but I do know that I've gone to the store and back and it has still been loading, I have eaten dinner and it was still loading, I have taken a shower, come out and it was still loading etc. I use a single core CPU (P4 3ghz)


These outputs are from the CVS version with the default scenery and no add-ons of any sort:

Output 1 (Warn)
Code: Select all
  Model Author:  Unknown
  Creation Date: 2002-01-01
  Version:       $Id: c172p.xml,v 1.20 2008/09/01 15:14:33 torsten Exp $
  Description:   Cessna C-172
  Model Author:  Unknown
  Creation Date: 2002-01-01
  Version:       $Id: c172p.xml,v 1.20 2008/09/01 15:14:33 torsten Exp $
  Description:   Cessna C-172


Output 2 (Warn)
Code: Select all
localizer:IITL, aligning with runway 08T exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IBL, aligning with runway 29 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IST, aligning with runway 27 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IXS, aligning with runway 33 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IXX, aligning with runway 25 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IZT, aligning with runway 29 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IKHE, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IPLY, aligning with runway 13 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ILDY, aligning with runway 21 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IHWD, aligning with runway 05 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IRH, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:SC, aligning with runway 04 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LSD, aligning with runway 05 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:BD, aligning with runway 25 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:BA, aligning with runway 35 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:RO, aligning with runway 32 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IRIQ, aligning with runway 22 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IFLG, aligning with runway 21 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:----, aligning with runway 21 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IGMU, aligning with runway 01 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IHEF, aligning with runway 16L exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IITH, aligning with runway 32 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IUFO, aligning with runway 31L exceeded heading threshold
localizer:AB, aligning with runway 09 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:NI, aligning with runway 22R exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LL, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LXI, aligning with runway 11 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LXI, aligning with runway 29 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:NPC, aligning with runway 06 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:OEV, aligning with runway 26 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:NOU, aligning with runway 29 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ITN, aligning with runway 31 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ISBI, aligning with runway 25 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:----, aligning with runway 05 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IPU, aligning with runway 10L exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IPK, aligning with runway 10R exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IPF, aligning with runway 14 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IRD, aligning with runway 32 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IGM, aligning with runway 11 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IWD, aligning with runway 29 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:DIB, aligning with runway 05 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:KL, aligning with runway 13 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ICAC, aligning with runway 28 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IKPS, aligning with runway 21 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IAR, aligning with runway 01 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IHU, aligning with runway 03 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:XPP, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:SUB, aligning with runway 09 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:STW, aligning with runway 18 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:SF, aligning with runway 13 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:DU, aligning with runway 10 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:MS, aligning with runway 34 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:NT, aligning with runway 12 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LA, aligning with runway 28 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ST, aligning with runway 21 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IPKN, aligning with runway 15 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IVWH, aligning with runway 19 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IDXR, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IOUW, aligning with runway 14 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IEKO, aligning with runway 23 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IACD, aligning with runway 29 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IHFD, aligning with runway 02 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IRUT, aligning with runway 19 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IOJW, aligning with runway 19R exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ITVL, aligning with runway 18 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LBW, aligning with runway 25 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:REG, aligning with runway 33 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:LBN, aligning with runway 27 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:OEJ, aligning with runway 26 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:TIV, aligning with runway 32 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IJDL, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IPSG, aligning with runway 22 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ISIT, aligning with runway 11 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IVDZ, aligning with runway 06 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IRGL, aligning with runway 10 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IEPC, aligning with runway 26L exceeded heading threshold
localizer:----, aligning with runway 05 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ITLU, aligning with runway 28 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IHLN, aligning with runway 21 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ITK, aligning with runway 19 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IOA, aligning with runway 08 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:ISN, aligning with runway 27 exceeded heading threshold
localizer:IRJ, aligning with runway 20L exceeded heading threshold
localizer:MCS, aligning with runway 16 exceeded heading threshold
navaid FCH has no range set, using defaults
navaid CLM has no range set, using defaults
navaid CDG has no range set, using defaults
navaid NMZ has no range set, using defaults
navaid ESN has no range set, using defaults
navaid ES1 has no range set, using defaults
navaid ES2 has no range set, using defaults
navaid ES3 has no range set, using defaults
navaid TE1 has no range set, using defaults
navaid TE2 has no range set, using defaults
navaid TE3 has no range set, using defaults
navaid MB1 has no range set, using defaults
navaid MB2 has no range set, using defaults
navaid MB3 has no range set, using defaults
Skipping bad material entry params
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Nav hold (NAV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Nav hold (NAV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Nav hold (NAV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Nav hold (NAV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Nav hold (NAV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Nav hold (NAV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Approach hold (APR) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Approach hold (APR) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Approach hold (APR) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Approach hold (APR) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Approach hold (APR) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Approach hold (APR) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Backcourse hold (REV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Backcourse hold (REV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Backcourse hold (REV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Backcourse hold (REV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Backcourse hold (REV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Backcourse hold (REV) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Heading Select (HDG) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Heading Select (HDG) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Heading Select (HDG) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Heading Select (HDG) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Heading Select (HDG) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Heading Select (HDG) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Wing Leveler (ROL) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Wing Leveler (ROL) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Wing Leveler (ROL) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Wing Leveler (ROL) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Wing Leveler (ROL) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Wing Leveler (ROL) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Altitude Hold (ALT) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Altitude Hold (ALT) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Altitude Hold (ALT) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Altitude Hold (ALT) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Altitude Hold (ALT) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Altitude Hold (ALT) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Glideslope Hold (GS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Glideslope Hold (GS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Glideslope Hold (GS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Glideslope Hold (GS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Glideslope Hold (GS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Glideslope Hold (GS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Vertical Speed (VS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Vertical Speed (VS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Vertical Speed (VS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Vertical Speed (VS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Vertical Speed (VS) Mode
Error in autopilot config logic
Section = Vertical Speed (VS) Mode
FGMultiplayMgr - No receiver port, Multiplayermode disabled
Failed to untie property /position/latitude-deg
Failed to untie property /position/longitude-deg
Failed to untie property /position/altitude-ft
Failed to untie property /position/altitude-agl-ft
Failed to untie property /position/ground-elev-ft
Failed to untie property /position/ground-elev-m
Failed to untie property /environment/ground-elevation-m
Failed to untie property /position/sea-level-radius-ft
Failed to untie property /orientation/roll-deg
Failed to untie property /orientation/pitch-deg
Failed to untie property /orientation/heading-deg
Failed to untie property /orientation/roll-rate-degps
Failed to untie property /orientation/pitch-rate-degps
Failed to untie property /orientation/yaw-rate-degps
Failed to untie property /orientation/side-slip-rad
Failed to untie property /orientation/side-slip-deg
Failed to untie property /orientation/alpha-deg
Failed to untie property /velocities/airspeed-kt
Failed to untie property /velocities/groundspeed-kt
Failed to untie property /velocities/mach
Failed to untie property /velocities/speed-north-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/speed-east-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/speed-down-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/uBody-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/vBody-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/wBody-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/vertical-speed-fps
Failed to untie property /velocities/glideslope
Failed to untie property /accelerations/nlf
Failed to untie property /accelerations/pilot/x-accel-fps_sec
Failed to untie property /accelerations/pilot/y-accel-fps_sec
Failed to untie property /accelerations/pilot/z-accel-fps_sec
Failed to untie property /accelerations/ned/north-accel-fps_sec
Failed to untie property /accelerations/ned/east-accel-fps_sec
Failed to untie property /accelerations/ned/down-accel-fps_sec
KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : VOHS
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Key value 65513 out of range
Key value 65513 out of range
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find departure airport : GVFM
Traffic manager could not find arrival airport   : GVFM
Last edited by argyle on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
argyle
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby argyle » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 am

Hooray wrote:Another thing to try: if the loading time isn't that long when starting in a non-scenery area, try reinitializing the position using the "location" menu to got to a scenery-rich place (KSFO) and see how long it takes then, also make sure to post anything unusual you may see in the console window.


I've tried that, and it's no different than just starting there.
argyle
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby MaverickAlex » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 am

just out of interest have you tried changing your log level to just Warn?

That way you only get a few messages in your console window, not the thousands that would generally scroll past. i only use a high level Alert if i am having a specific loading problem.
http://www.atlasvirtualairlines.com
Modeller of: TNCM TBPB MDPP TFFF TJSJ FMEE TKPK TFFG TQPF KLAX KATL EGNJ EGGW APACHE, EUROFIGHTER, HP VICTOR, DHC8
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
User avatar
MaverickAlex
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Kingston Upon Hull. UK

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby PatFG » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:33 am

Hi,
i have the same problem. KSFO loading time is about 8 minutes and KLAX 20 minutes!!! :shock: This long loading time issue occurs in areas with much scenery models only.

But i figured out that when i set the the log level to debug it loads paradoxically much faster -> in 2 minutes! This only works with log level debug.
:idea: So my currently workaround for crowded areas is to set the log level temporary to debug until the scene is loaded and then set it back to alert level (because debug eats too much fps).

Never had this problems with FG 1.0

My hardware:
Notebook
CPU: Pentium M 1.6 Ghz single core
RAM: 2 GB
Video: ATI Radeon X300 with 128 MB, Driver: Catalyst 9.2
OS: Win32 SP3
FlightGear 1.91

After everything is loaded FG runs quite good on this machine.


I tested FG on an even older machine:
Athlon XP 1.5 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9500, 128 MB
Win32
FG 1.91

Surprisingly it loads KSFO flawless in about 2 minutes. :o

Hooray wrote:Another thing to try: if the loading time isn't that long when starting in a non-scenery area, try reinitializing the position using the "location" menu to got to a scenery-rich place (KSFO) and see how long it takes then, also make sure to post anything unusual you may see in the console window.

Tried this and a jump from TNCM to KSFO takes 4 minutes - so its a little bit faster than loading from start.


After reading some other related topics, my guess is, its an issue in OSG that affects only a few ATI Cards. :?

-pat
PatFG
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Jester » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:03 am

Any of you guys tried disabling the traffic mananger using --prop:/sim/traffic-manager/enabled=0?
Jester
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Hungary
Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT
OS: Debian Linux

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby argyle » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 am

Jester wrote:Any of you guys tried disabling the traffic mananger using --prop:/sim/traffic-manager/enabled=0?


Yes, unfortunately the problem persists.

I would also like to reiterate that there are no fatal errors, no crashing, no hanging etc. The sim appears to be running in the background, it just doesn't render the 3d scene for a long time.

here are 2 pics:

Properties:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2144/20530303.png

Hud:
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/994/54097619.png
argyle
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Jester » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:47 am

Try --prop:sim/sceneryloaded-override=1 and also watch /sim/sceneryloaded
Jester
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Hungary
Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT
OS: Debian Linux

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby hopflyer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Just joining this thread. (... and this forum. I'm a new FG user.)

I ran into the exact same problem recently. I started by resetting FG back to defaults and found that scenery loaded within a typical time frame (~40 seconds for me). I then rebuilt my scenery search path and ran into the problem again.

After some searching, I found that a couple of my scenery grids had "incomplete" buried inside the data. (I'm sorry I cannot be more specific. I've since deleted and re-downloaded the offending grids.) Anyway, re-downloading and installing those grids resolved the problem for me. I'm not sure how the data got corrupted. I think it might be related to Terrasync, but I'm not sure.

You might want to start by backing up the scenery grid containing the airport you are taking off from. Then re-download and install that grid and see if FG loads the scenery within a reasonable time.

If that doesn't work, you may even want to reset FG back to defaults and start troubleshooting from there.
hopflyer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, I was assuming that had been tried already (stock FG with just defaults, and no customizations, scenery or aircraft)?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
Nasal | Projects | Core development |
Programming resources
Hooray
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am

PreviousNext

Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest