Board index FlightGear Support Installation

"loading scenery objects"

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: "loading scenery objects"

Postby hopflyer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:51 am

Thank you, Hooray.

Perhaps it was tried already. I didn't see any mention of it in this thread, but I may have missed it. Anyway, I just know that was the beginning of resolving the problem in my case. Perhaps it will work for Ratschye?
hopflyer

Postby argyle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 am

hopflyer wrote:Just joining this thread. (... and this forum. I'm a new FG user.)

I ran into the exact same problem recently. I started by resetting FG back to defaults and found that scenery loaded within a typical time frame (~40 seconds for me). I then rebuilt my scenery search path and ran into the problem again.

After some searching, I found that a couple of my scenery grids had "incomplete" buried inside the data. (I'm sorry I cannot be more specific. I've since deleted and re-downloaded the offending grids.) Anyway, re-downloading and installing those grids resolved the problem for me. I'm not sure how the data got corrupted. I think it might be related to Terrasync, but I'm not sure.

You might want to start by backing up the scenery grid containing the airport you are taking off from. Then re-download and install that grid and see if FG loads the scenery within a reasonable time.

If that doesn't work, you may even want to reset FG back to defaults and start troubleshooting from there.

Unfortunately, what you're describing seems to be a completely different problem. I have tried multiple installations of flightgear on multiple operating systems, with and without updating the scenery and have done this multiple times. Reformatting and trying it on a completely fresh installation of windows also has no effect apparently. The only thing which has helped so far was stripping down my XP to the complete bare essentials, but even then it still takes a while, just not quite as bad.
argyle

Postby argyle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 am

Jester wrote:Try --prop:sim/sceneryloaded-override=1 and also watch /sim/sceneryloaded

Thanks. I tried that suggestion and it now starts rendering right away, unfortunately the scenery seems to takes just as long to load. I fed my fish, went out and watered my plants and did a few others things in my backyard, came back, and it is still loading as I type this message.
argyle

Postby Gijs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:52 pm

I think this topic should be split, as Flightgear does not load at all for one and for the other it justs take a while...

argyle wrote:Thanks. I tried that suggestion and it now starts rendering right away, unfortunately the scenery seems to takes just as long to load.

FlightGear is not loading your scenery all the time you see the "Loading scenery objects" ;)
Lots of other errors can hang FlightGear at this screen. Also the fact that you get a framerate and see a hud does not say the sim is running.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby 2011futuremarine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 pm

I found this to be the trouble at one point, and I can't remember exactly what I did, but I went to "advanced options" and under "freeze" changed all of those to the opposite that they were on, and it worked fine. Weird, but it worked :)
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Previous

Return to Installation