Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Operation Red Flag (KSUU Crew)

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: Operation Red Flag (KSUU Crew)

Postby swampthing » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Raider1 wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:00 pm:
swampthing wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:56 pm:Sounds good. :) I can tear a car down to nothing and put it back together but I don't know what a lot of what you said means. :) You lost me in the second paragraph but that’s OK,

Dont worry, Swamp, they lost me too. I can't tear a car down, but I can eat a ton of tacos!

Raider1

Oh I bet you could handle the tearing down part. Those extra bolts...... Seems every shop has a huge bolt drawer, I've even seen file cabinets full. Scary....
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby FLYBOY93 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Could i be in my a-10 if anybody else would wanna join? :D
FLYBOY93

Callsign: PANAM29
Version: 2016.1

Postby swampthing » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 pm

FLYBOY93 wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:16 pm:Could i be in my a-10 if anybody else would wanna join? :D

The only problem I see with the A-10 that it does not take damage and can't inflict damage.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby XrayHotel » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 am

Hooray wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:53 pm:Apart from that, the experimental fgms "replacement" that's been posted a few weeks ago, would probably not easily run via mongoose, because it requires node.js - whereas all the JavaScript code related to Phi is served to the browser, i.e. executed client-side.

Actually, the stack will run from any web server just fine, it's nearly all client side.

The web server component just feeds files to the client, except for an ultra thin RPC mechanism that I'm using to pass decoded multiplayer state to the map code - there's literally one exported function "/blackbox/getMpState".

To make the map work from mongoose all you'd have to do is write a piece of Javascript to query the property tree (via the established mongoose API) and massage the data into the format that the map expects, which is not complex. Each entity's information is stored in an object formatted roughly as follows (I've omitted a few fields that aren't relevant to the mapping code):

Code: Select all
{
    header: {
        callsign: <string>,
        modelName: <string>,
    },
    state: {
        position: [<x>, <y>, <z>],
        orientation: [<x>, <y>, <z>]
    }
}

The map itself is rendered from ESRI shapefiles, which are parsed client side. I decided to use shapefiles because they're a defacto standard for geographic data and there are a ton of sources for them out there. The map is currently based on the natural earth dataset, which is nicely detailed without requiring huge files. Adding extra layers is easy.

I'd love to see BlackBox integrated with mongoose/Phi - I love FlightGear and have wanted to give something back for ages. I'm working on cleaning up the code for release at the moment becase I think (hope) that it's reached the point of (minimal) utility - it now does this:

You can either run it standalone and observe aircraft on the MP network, or run it as a proxy and use it as a (very basic) in flight map. From there I'll start thinking about extra features,

Since Richard has essentially sovled the problem that I originally set out to solve (custom MP server rules) I think I'll focus on mapping and tactical displays for the time being ... decoding the nav/airport database in javascript is going to be fun...

swampthing wrote in Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:56 pm:Sounds good. :) I can tear a car down to nothing and put it back together but I don't know what half of what you said means. :) You lost me in the second paragraph but that’s OK,

:) I can't tell which end of a wrench is which...
XH.
* Remember, keep the blue side up and avoid the cumulo-granitus!
XrayHotel

Callsign: XH

Postby Yesrev » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:56 am

Leto flying with no wings only canards.
Stay aloft with your engines on.
Gently bank as you approach a turn.
With your landing lights on.
Prepare your cabin and let the rubber burn.
Yesrev

Callsign: YV-187
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:36 am

Ehm, what?! :o
Regards, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Necolatis » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:59 am

Must be some sort of graphical glitch, is pretty sure my wings were on. :)
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco

Postby Necolatis » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:16 am

A nice day in Flightgear:

"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco

Postby PINTO » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:28 am

Those RB-15F's... those are a lot of fun.

EDIT: What missile is next?!?! **cough**mjolner**cough**
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Raider1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:11 pm

PINTO wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:28 am:Those RB-15F's... those are a lot of fun.

EDIT: What missile is next?!?! **cough**mjolner**cough**

PINTO.... the AGM 130 and the associated targeting POD!!!!!!

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/en/weapons ... 09-agm-130

Raider1
Raider1
(Alternate call-signs: Raid-1, Raid-2)

Member of Operation Red Flag (OPRF)
http://opredflag.shivtr.com/
Raider1

Callsign: Raider1
Version: 2016

Postby Raider1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Chasing a B2 over Homey...

Formation pre-flight at Homey...

Yesrev and S chasing Raider1

Leto chasing the moon!
Raider1

Raider1

Postby XrayHotel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:40 pm

BlackBox is cleaned up and has been uploaded! Version 0.1.1, more features to come!

http://users.on.net/~denis.sjostrom/BlackBox.zip

It's a bit rough around the edges, but it gives you a nice map with labels telling you:

• Aircraft type.
  • Ground speed (in knots.)
  • Altitude (in feet above mean sea level.)
  • Rate of climb (in feet per minute.)

I've added the mappings to different symbols for a few aircraft types, but it's not complete - the default symbol is "single engine propellor plane."

You can pan the map with a left drag, zoom with the mouswheel and rotate the view with either a ctrl+mousewheel or a middle button drag.
XH.
XrayHotel

Postby Raider1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Hey XH:

How/where do I load the Blackbox file, and how do I turn it on?

Raider1
Raider1

Raider1

Postby Hooray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 pm

See his previous postings, lastI checked, this was a standalone nodejs (JavaScript) based application, possibly hoping to become a multiplayer environment alternative (eventually) - as such, it does not have to do much with fgfs/fgms in its current form, i.e. there are no dedicated setup instructions for fgfs related things - basically, it will serve a webpage to a browser, while the backend is processing multiplayer traffic.

(note that I haven't actually downloaded the latest zip file, so some things may have changed meanwhile)

It would probably be a good idea to update the blackbox article on the wiki and maybe add this to the March 2016 newsletter

For the time being, and according to the screenshot, this looks like it could be a good alternative to the mpmap feature, while becoming the foundation for more ambitious ideas.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby XrayHotel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Raider1 wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:35 pm:Hey XH:

How/where do I load the Blackbox file, and how do I turn it on?

Raider1

Are you running windows? (it can be made to run on anything, but I've got it set up for windows.)

Using it to observe traffic (without running FlightGear) is simple enough. There's a batch file "blackBox-observe.bat" (or just "blackBox-observe" depending on how windows is set up) which will start the server (you'll have to click your way through some "do you really want to run this program" crap that windows does that never protected anyone from malware anywhere ever.) You should see a console window containing a bunch of stuff like this:

Code: Select all
loading module: sigma:/load.js
loading module: sigma:/contentType.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/rpc.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/math.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/units.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/data.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/dbf.data.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/geo.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/coord.geo.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/projection.geo.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/shp.geo.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/naturalEarth.geo.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/property.fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/protocol.fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/xdr.protocol.fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/mp.protocol.fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/mp.fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/mpInfo.fg.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/vectorFont.sigma.js
loading module: sigma:/httpd.sigma.js
httpd: created server on port 1392
MPServerConnect: mpserver01.flightgear.org:5000
entity connected: XH
entity connected: KSMFtwD
entity connected: MZ-D91
entity connected: N388PV
entity connected: s5020

The line "httpd: created server on port 1392" indicates that the web server started successfully. Point your browser at http://127.0.0.1:1392/ to see the interface. You'll see an empty desktop (with the blackbox logo in the center) - click on the desktop to bring up a menu to open the map or pilot list.

Oh yeah, it won't work in Internet explorer (would you believe it lacks a couple of trigonometry functions, of all things, otherwise it would work!) Use Google Chrome or FireFox - Opera works but is broken a bit for, umm, reasons...

The next version will (hopefully) be a little simpler to use (at least on windows) and I may make it run from FlightGear's internal web server (mongoose.)

Running BlackBox as a map while you are flying is a bit more complex, you need to specify particular command line parameters to FlightGear, it's all in the "readme.txt" file :)

* edit - I forgot to add, that running BlackBox in observe mode won't work if FlightGear is connected to the MP network in the usual fashion - both programs will try to use port 5000, whichever program gets there first will prevent the other from working.
XH.
XrayHotel

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events