Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of Flightgear-1&2 Nov, 2014

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

The Festival of Flightgear-1&2 Nov, 2014

Postby METAL » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:14 am

UPDATE 5/13/14: This is the topic formerly known as "The Ultimate MP Event" Here's the new info in a nutshell so pilots new to the discussion don't have to filter through all our banter. :)

Date: November 1st and 2nd, 2014
Time: All weekend Sat 00:00-Sun 23:59
Event Nexus: Madrid
Required aircraft: Anything at all!
Communication methods: Mumble default for voice comm. Multiplayer chat box for text comm and as backup in case of Mumble issues.
Comments: There is now a wiki page for this event: http://wiki.flightgear.org/The_Festival_of_FlightGear,_November_2014 Those who wish to participate in the ATC aspect of the event, ATC schedules and coordination is happening on Lenny's website: http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net/V4/index.php5 Also, there is a separate topic in the MP forum for scheduling "mini games" to hold during the festival.

So I was thinking earlier, wouldn't it be awesome if we organized an event in which as many people as possible showed up to fly? I don’t just mean a few dozen participants, but a large majority of the Flightgear multiplayer community, maybe hundreds. Sort of a Festival of Flightgear, as it were. Since it’s always so difficult to plan events across 24 time zones, I was thinking this fly-in would be held sometime in the future (like, months in the future) so everyone has plenty of time to find out about it, tell their friends, recruit new Flightgear enthusiasts, convert FSX players, ask for time off of work, :wink: get speech communication software set-up, download planes, scenery, and otherwise plan for the event.

:D

Wherever the fly-in takes place, it will have to be over a very large area to accommodate the volume of players. Maybe somewhere like the Caribbean islands, Alaska, Western Europe, East Coast USA, Japan, Russia, Australia, etc. Pilots could fly from airport to airport alone or in groups, meeting people on the ground and in midair to go on adventures with. Roving squads of fighter jets could fly patrols and dogfight with other players (or attack helpless Cessnas, :D). People could start a wildfire then try to put it out… you get the idea; a huge Flightgear party with no main objective besides having fun.

Here’s where we are thus far… not very informative…
Date: TBA
Time: TBA
Duration of event: TBA
Required aircraft: Anything at all, it doesn’t even have to be an aircraft. …Should change that to required vehicles…

Now, I’m just throwing this out there as an idea. For all I know, the servers or people’s computers might not be able to handle such a huge number of players flying all at once. I have a few ideas about locations, times, etc, but I want to hear your thoughts first. Any suggestions, or helpful comments would be appreciated. I want everyone to have a hand in building and executing this event. 8)

Last edited by METAL on Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Re: The Ultimate MP Fly-in

Postby BIZX » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:32 am

Anchorage would be the perfect area to do this in if the huge scenery bugs have been fixed. It has the capacity and the area - the runways and terminals can theoretically handle anything from A380s to Zeppelins, and the 100 NM range has everything from large expanses of water to towering glacial ranges.

Plus, it would give me the perfect opportunity to officially launch something I've been working on for a while... :wink:
It's been way too long, but I'm back...and plan to stay that way. I hope.
BIZX

Callsign: BIZX
Version: Git

Postby F_D2760 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:03 am

Hi,

Why not!

I'd be happy to take part, if my FG doesn't crash that d-day.

Regards.
KUbuntu 22.04
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
22" + 22"
16 Go
F_D2760

Callsign: F_D2760
Version: Last one

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Just a question - do you plan on including ATC coverage as well? I think adding two or three controlled airports (not the whole area, of course!) would be nice for those pilots who like to fly under ATC guidance.

If yes, a few regularly controlled sectors come to mind - namely Gatwick, some French airports, Munich, the EDDF Triangle (manned by jomo and others), Schiphol (manned by vATO) and Northern Italy (manned by the NIATCA project).

(Disclaimer: I'm both a vATO Ground Controller and a co-founder of NIATCA).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Lydiot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 pm

If ATC will be included then it would be good to have areas that are adjacent. People will inevitably try to fly into controlled space so it would be good if there are clear distinctions between the areas and if people are well aware of it, so we don't end up breaking FG with all the resulting caps-lock yelling.
Lydiot

Postby METAL » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 am

Having ATC's would be great! In this case a large area would be beneficial. Maybe we could take over a large area and have the urban areas be controlled with uncontrolled airports out in the country.
METAL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi METAL, elgaton, BIXZ and others
Once you have decided where/when this event will take place,
I will be happy to belong to the ultimate crowd.

Best,
IAHMCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 am

I can make this.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Lydiot » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm in as long as my schedule permits, and I'd be up for doing ATC if needed.

I actually think KSFO is a not so bad area. There are some hills and plenty of smaller airports. Not only that, but it's not that far from KLAX and KLAS. Some people have problem with the frame rate over KLAX but KLAS should be fine. Going from KSFO to KLAS doesn't take too long and you get to fly over the mountains. It's a pretty natural border between what could be controlled airspace (KLAS) and uncontrolled flying. For more controlled space one could create an adjacent triangle by simply adding KLAX and Phoenix for example.

Or any similar area with interesting nature somewhere else.
Lydiot

Postby niharisawesome » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:58 pm

I would love to participate in this event however i suggest we fly anywhere from EGKK to EHAM or LKPR, because its a bigger space, also the major airports should have ATC, it would be much fun for the ATC's and the pilots. Most pilots only see 3 aircraft at once, if you could see like 50 pilots at the same airport with ATC, and you have to wait for your slot it would make it more realistic and lots more fun. Please reply to me if this event ever does get set up
niharisawesome

Postby METAL » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 am

UPDATE 4/15: Just so everyone knows, this event is still in the works and I should have preliminary details for you soon. Stay tuned!
METAL

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm

I wonder, with full flaps out, I can hold my big bird at 150 kias, does that count as slow?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Lydiot » Thu May 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm:I wonder, with full flaps out, I can hold my big bird at 150 kias, does that count as slow?

With full flaps and low weight you can fly slower than that.
Lydiot

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu May 01, 2014 5:11 pm

I never fly really light. I need enough fuel to decide on the way where I go ;-). But sure, 140 kias is possible in a comfy way. So ... we grab us KL and Tiki and fly along with that event as a bunch of fat birds?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Postby SolarLiner » Thu May 01, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm sure in, on airplaine or on ATC (actually I'd prefer ATC since so much pilots in a perfectly controlled area would be THE moment to test FlightGear and see where it crosses reality.
SolarLiner

Callsign: SL-ER5

Next

Return to Multiplayer events