Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

USA Tour Competition | SUN MAY 19TH 16:00 - 21:30 UTC

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

USA Tour Competition | SUN MAY 19TH 16:00 - 21:30 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 am

Registered Planes

To simplify the downloading and installing of the planes that are expected in the event I am providing below a list of planes that registered players will be using. I will be updating this list as pilots register and/or
inform me the plane they will be competing/accompanying with, so everyone can obtain these and avoid the yellow/blue gliders, without the need of installing all possible competing planes for this leg.

Confirmed Planes

Available and Used gates

Pilots that are registered will be assigned gates in North Satellite. If you are joining to compete (soviet airliner) or fly by (any other plane) please use the gates in Terminals C or D for convenience!
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Re: USA Tour Competition | SUN MAY 19TH 16:00 - 21:30 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 am

USA TOUR competition | 14th Leg : Birmingham, Alabama | Soviet Airliners: Tupolev | SUN MAY 19TH : 16:00-21:30 UTC

FOURTEENTH TRIP
Departing from Seattle-Tacoma Intl. (KSEA): Seattle - Washington
Arriving to Birmingham–Shuttlesworth Intl. (KBHM): Birmingham - Alabama

Leg Distance: approx 1900 nm
Competing Aircraft: Soviet Airliners, see below
Expected Cruising Speed: about 405 KTAS | 225 KIAS | 0.71 Mach
Expected Cruising Altitude: FL370
Expected Duration (en route): 4h40min

Flightgear's USA Tour will be arriving to Alabama, Sweet Home Alabama

The USA tour has begun its second competition using the unpopular BAC Concorde!. Only IAHMCOL adventured using this plane to crosscountry from the state of Mississippi, to Northwest on the State of Washington. Taking off was smooth, but it took a few miles to actually achieve cruising speed and altitude, beyond the expected location in MEM. In spite of that, being a closely controlled flight, once the conditions of flight were reached everything else went nicely ordered, descending over the Northwestern Sierras, in a heavily spiked region on a partly overcasted skies. The concorde reached the correct altitude and speed on approach, but it failed to properly intersect ILS causing an out-of the runway touchdown. Well, I guess IAHMCOL is now infamous for his unusually unaccurate landings during the USA tour, so it all goes within the plan ;)

And the trip was not completely alone! I was accompanied by STAR and PH-ETE who both flew MA2.0 capable military type planes!. Thanks Guys!

Here we can see an arrival screenshot to Seattle-Washington:

Next destination for the USA tour will be the the Southern state of Alabama. We will be cruising back to the South-USA, which represents a full return from our coming to Washington from Mississippi. The route and the types of plane use will vary greatly thou. Now, competitors will be flying any Soviet airliner capable of keeping a cruising of 0.7Ma at FL350-370. Several Tupolev models had been developed for flightgear and I encourage our Flightgear Multiplayer enthusiast to join in one of these competing planes. The route we will follow is now fully disclosed and it will take us in an almost perfect diagonal accross continental USA for 1880 nm, therefore the cruising time will be 4h40min. Considering that we will have to take into account departing and arrival times, an estimate time of 5h30min had been estimated for this LONG USA tour event. I will be very happy to see my flying buddies again, and I am looking forward to see your registrations and your coming by during the next USA tour. We are going to "Sweet-Home Alabama"

Flight Plan

We will follow the flightplan indicated here. See Skyvector details.

Code: Select all
WAYPOINT   Type   freq   HEAD   DIST   ROUTE
KSEA      Dep.      163   11.9   SUMMA7.BKE
NEVJO      FIX      144   40.3
SUMMA      FIX      104   205.5
BKE      VOR   115.3   117   104.1   J54
BOI      VOR   113.3   087   160.6   
PIH      VOR   112.6   088   235.4
CKW      VOR   115.0   091   87.5
LAR      VOR   117.6   086   43.6   J175
CYS      VOR   113.1   081   10.0
MOCTU      FIX      115   72.3
LEWOY      FIX      115   131.0   Q148
CUGGA      FIX      119   71.2
PENUT      FIX      112   66.5
KIRKE      FIX      118   136.4
BVO      VOR   117.9   102   98.3   Q128
RZC      VOR   116.4   105   118.9
PAMMO      FIX      110   96.5
MEM      VOR   117.5   116   173.1
VUZ      VOR   114.4   129   9.8   J41
KBHM      Arr.         1872.7nm

Competing Aircrafts

In principle, any Soviet Airliner capable of flying at 470KTAS | 0.7Ma at FL370 will be competing!. Interestingly enough, as can be seen from the list below, only Tupolev models are modelled within flightgear, therefore this time competing pilots will likely shown in one of the tupolev models indicated below.
Non competing players are welcome to come by in any aircraft of their choice.

See you all soon!

Modelled in Flightgear

Competing aircraft yet not Modelled in Flightgear

• Antonov 24
  • Antonov 28
  • Beriev Be-30
  • Ilyushin Il-62
  • Ilyushin Il-86
  • Ilyushin Il-114
  • Tupolev Tu-124
  • Tupolev Tu-334
  • Yakolev Yak-42
  • Yakolev Yak-48
  • Yakolev Yak-77

Communications

We will attempt to communicate via mumble this time. Friendly, easy to handle and install, and for those like me that love this: "open source".

server: mumble-de.cleanvoice.ru
Port: 63453
Room: Flight Room

Feel free to try it out. Flying with voice communication is quite easier than texting. For those unwilling/unable, we will remain answering on FGText while the speed of this fly allow.

STAR and SID

SID, SUMMA7.BKE: Seattle-Tacoma Intl.
STAR, not available

Parking Gates

• Seattle-Tacoma Intl. Airport, KSEA. Groundnet provides 30 total parking positions located in the different gates on Terminal A,B,C,D, North or South Satellites.

To install these groundnet files, simply download and copy in the folders appropriate to your system and installation. You will need to identify and ubicate your $ROOT folder and your $TERRASYNC folder (if using terrasync) respectively. After installing, parking positions will be available thru FGRUN, FGX, and/or command line launcher 'fgfs'.

copy the files in (i.e):
    $FGROOT/Scenery/Airports/K/S/E/KSEA.groundnet.xml ,AND
    $TERRASYNC/Airports/K/S/E/KSEA.groundnet.xml
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Sat May 18, 2013 3:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby sa7k » Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Sorry I couldn't be there last time. I hope I can on the 19th. Do you have a recommendation for a plane that is not so complicated like the Tu-154B2 but works fine for such a long trip?
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 am

sa7k wrote in Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 pm:Sorry I couldn't be there last time. I hope I can on the 19th. Do you have a recommendation for a plane that is not so complicated like the Tu-154B2 but works fine for such a long trip?

Hi sa7k

It will be awesome you join us next 19th!

I could not give you very informed notice of planes because I had not used any of these. But the IL-96-400 seems similar to a 700s Boeing series, and it has an autostart. I will say its easy feeling comfortable trying that.

There is plenty of information on the Tu154B2 if you feel like studying some into the more challenging plane. I will be practicing that, for sure.

look in here:
http://yurik.flightgear.ru/tu154eng.html

Its a bit of an scary document, but the detail helps if you into that equipment. Also, way down, look for "EXAMPLE" and it will guide you step by step into getting this awesome craft going.

and here:

See you soon,
Israel
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby sa7k » Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Well, I guess you are right and I should do the homework :oops: . Still I'll get the Ilyushin in case I need something else :mrgreen: . Thanks man.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Registration

Pilots that are planning to compete are encouraged to complete this very simple registration form.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHY3LTRDaC1UZmJDblMzSF9QZ1ZFZ3c6MA

It will allow me to organize the event and provide parking position for competing players on time. Also, I will announce confirmed planes in the original post so we can all prepare by downloading required add-ons on time. Finally, I will send a confirmation email to registered players

Registration is not required, so if you wish, just come by to the event place and time, with a competing plane for join the competition or in any other aircraft to make company to us.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon May 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I'll be amazed if anyone can make heads or tails of the convoluted starting procedures on this airliner, I can't get it past the power generator start up... :(

It would behoove the developer to include an optional autostart for those not inclined to read minutia and keep track of which of a couple hundred switches to flick in order, damn but half of them aren't even implemented yet!?
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 13, 2013 5:55 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Mon May 13, 2013 5:03 pm:I'll be amazed if anyone can make heads or tails of the convoluted starting procedures on this airliner, I can't get it past the power generator start up... :(

It would behoove the developer to include an optional autostart for those not inclined to read minutia and keep track of which of a couple hundred switches to flick in order, damn but half of them aren't even implemented yet!?

LOL! Lesbof.. You can say all that again!

Well, I got to learn how to flick those switches in order to get the engines going.
My problem now is that setting the navigation is also some sort of business :O

But oh well, I am confident I will be able to fly it next Sunday.
Feel free to come by in a different plane, if you find the tu154b2 unnecesarily touchy, the IL-96-400 seems easy enough. And I would not be surprise you know of any related obscure (soviet airliner) model as well.

Furthermore, if you want me to tell you how I am doing the starting, I will be happy to indicate it to you.

Talk to you soon, and have a great flying,
IAHMCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 am

Watched while C-CWY tried to get the 154b2 to fly, somethings keeping the engines from spinning up.

meanwhile made a fs9 conversion to FG..

the 154 looks weird through the TU-104's windshield.

P.S. have updated my Hangar with a very alpha version of the TU-104. It's not complete, no cockpit at all, but does have an improved 2d panel with some additional AP features, like two modes of Terrain following, terrain radar high point marking, and Mach to climb rate. Only the terrain following I have tested to satisfaction.
It also has some regular AP functions. Please read the Aircraft Help text for details, and a side note it's altitude hold appears to be buggy, so best to set pitch/AoA for a primitive altitude hold, climb/descend. Heading works fine.

link....http://www.mediafire.com/?a9y3h1sb22ojzgy
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Sat May 18, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Johan G » Fri May 17, 2013 3:44 pm

:shock: :?: Shouldn't it show everything but all the details of the cockpit, in essence the very opposite?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 am

Parking Gates

Hey Everybody

Please download and install the following groundnet file.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4krviqd3oglTjZReGNWWUJKMHM/edit?usp=sharing

It includes the following: 5 Parking positions in Terminal A [A3,6,9,10,12], 5 in B[B6,9,10,11,14], 5 in C[C9,15,17,20,18], 5 in D[D1,3,5,9,11], 5 in North Satellite [N1,6,10,13,16] and 5 in South Satellite [S1,4,6,8,10].

Pilots that are registered will be assigned gates in North Satellite. If you are joining to compete (soviet airliner) or fly by (any other plane) please use the gates in Terminals C or D for convenience!

See you all soon,
IAHMCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 18, 2013 3:58 am

An Important Notification for USA Tour Participants!

Hi guys

I have an important notification to make to USA Tour participants.
For the last few weeks I had been fighting a series of bugs in my FGFS.

The most critical for us is:
Unreported Bug <IAHMCOL>: Opening the Multiplayer chat window freezes the simulator. After that, if closing this window FGFS crashes. Reproducibility, Always! :shock:

Another serious bug does not allow me to use the Route Manager, so I am navigating by my own forcedfully, but I can leave/live with that. Map is working ok!
I had tried several things to figure out how this happen, and how to correct it. My final resort was getting the git so I was independent of OpenSuse for flightgear distribution. Compiling from scratch FGFS is a pain in the :mrgreen: , but it pays off. YET, doing this did not fix any of the bugs I had, so now I am bewilder.

I am telling all this, not to cry on your shoulders (thou I hope I may). I tell all this because I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INTERACT VIA CHAT WITH EASE this Sunday.

As I indicate before I will be available via voice on Mumble on the vATO's server.
This is an easy to use, easy to get (here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) software that is fully compliant, cross platform, opensource voiceIP communication. If you have it and had test it, hear you soon. If you had not, PLEASE do so. You may all remember that communication is critical for us to be compact, together, and coordinated. If you lack a microphone, you will still be able to listen and reply via your own FGChat.

I repeat: All instructions during next USA tour will be provided via Voice on mumble vATO's server, UNLESS someone is kind enough to ECHO on the FGCHAT.

server: mumble-de.cleanvoice.ru
Port: 63453
Room: Flight Room
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Johan G » Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Sat May 18, 2013 3:58 am:Unreported Bug <IAHMCOL>: Opening the Multiplayer chat window freezes the simulator. After that, if closing this window FGFS crashes. Reproducibility, Always! :shock:

Please report that bug, so the developers will become aware of it. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm

STAR shares

I think
TRUE FACT
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Johan G » Mon May 20, 2013 3:38 pm

And in the Tu-154, that's just the captains workspace! :wink: :lol:
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Next

Return to Multiplayer events