Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

FGRC Event #2

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

FGRC Event #2

Postby jack » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:36 am

It's time again that we get ready for the FlightGear Rotor Club's second monthly event.

Pat did a great job on the last one, and I hope to do as good of job as he did.

This event will be a little different than the last one. This time, it's a Combat Search and Rescue Mission.

The scenario goes as follows:

On June 30, 1960. The USS Enterprise(Callsign: Big E) is on a patrol in the Gulf of Tonkin, west of North Vietnam. At 2100 hours, a single A-6 Intruder(Callsign: Cyrano) is sent on a sortie to bombard parts of the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos, to prevent the Viet Cong from flooding South Vietnam during their Spring Offensive. The Intruder evades air defenses by flying low to the ground, around 500 feet. When the intruder reached it's target at 2230 hours, the pilots have to fly to 1500 feet in order to drop their munitions on the trail. While on their bombing run, the aircraft is temporarily visible to radar, and a 2235, an SA-2 guideline is fired from very close range at the Intruder. With only a few seconds to react, the pilots rapidly spit out chaff and flares to evade the missile. Yet the missile managed to keep a lock on the aircraft, and struck it right on the left engine.

At 2242, the pilots report ejection and Cyrano flight goes down into Laotian territory. The pilots made radio contact with the Big E the next morning, and have provided an approximate location. A U-2 was later sent to photograph the area, but failed to locate the aircraft wreckage.

The aircraft did locate the locations of 3 SA-2 sites and radar systems, though.

On July 2, a CH-47, several UH-1's, and 2 A-1H's will be dispatched to rescue the pilot. We must not let the Viet Cong capture any more personnel, as they will surel be sent to the Hanoi Hilton.

The mission brief follows:

Mission Name: N/A

Mission Type: Combat Search and Rescue/Ground Engagement

Classification: Level 2

Abstract: Based on radio transmissions from the pilots of the downed Cyrano flight, and U-2 reconnaissance imagery, we have the approximate location of two downed personnel and a heavy Viet Cong presence in Laotian territory. Recover the pilots without giving away their position. Authorized to utilize military force.

Primary Mission: Depart Big E in the Gulf of Tonkin for coordinates [N/A]. Retrieve pilots.

Primary Goal: Retrieve pilots at all costs. Eliminate anything that could potentially endanger the pilots. [See U-2 photographs below.]

Target Coordinates: [N/A]

Secondary Mission: Destroy A-6E wreckage if possible to prevent sensitive equipment from being retrieved by enemy forces.

Recommended Aircraft: A-1H, CH-47, UH-1

Recommended Route: Big E direct [N/A].

Fuel Auth: None

Debrief: Big E

U-2 Reconnaissance Imagery

Flight path from the gulf to the target:

Calcmandan has agreed to host the USS Enterprise in the Gulf of Tonkin on July 2, so we may conduct operations off of it.

In order to see the crash site and SAM batteries, and have the customized aircraft for the event, you must download the event package:

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by jack on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Re: FGRC Event #2

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Hmm... time to fly the AH-1 or the UH-1. Tell me what heli I should fly, the AH or the UH. I am reasonably good with both of 'em.
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby jack » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 pm

The AH-1 won't be in this event, it's too new to be historically correct.

Fly the UH-1 Gunship, that's gonna be our attack platform.

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby jack » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 am

On July 1, an RA-5 Vigilante discovered the precise location of the crash site using a thermal camera.

The exact position of our downed aircrew is still unknown, they will have to be found visually by the rescue flight.

jack
Retired

Postby Muffinman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Jack,

I have a ton of questions.

Do you have to have bombable for this?

Can I participate if I wanted to even if I am not a part of FGRC?

What time is it going to be at?

How long do you think it will be?

Thanks,
Muffinman
My personal livery collection. Specializing in Star Alliance and oneworld airlines and logojets.
Muffinman

Callsign: N626CM
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby jack » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Do you have to have bombable for this?

No. Bombable isnt being used for this.

Can I participate if I wanted to even if I am not a part of FGRC?

I guess you could, but I don't understand why. Registration take what, 45 seconds?

What time is it going to be at?

That's undecided. It depends how many people we get from each timezone.

How long do you think it will be?

After going through the whole mission myself, I estimate it'll take somewhere around 2 1/2 hours.

jack
Retired

Postby Muffinman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:49 pm

OK. I might sign up and participate.
The thing is that my computer kind of weak so it would probably lag on multiplayer, causing me to crash.
Unless I use a type of helo that does not give me lag.
Those helos would be the CH47, BO105, and the EC130.
Though I have not tested the UH-1 or the AH-1.
Which I will probably do today.

EDIT: I will also test the A-1.
Last edited by Muffinman on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My personal livery collection. Specializing in Star Alliance and oneworld airlines and logojets.
Muffinman

Postby redneck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm gonna give the A-1H a try. Never flown it before, and the cockpit layout is attractive to me.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Muffinman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:42 am

If I participated I would either be in a CH-47 or a Huey.
Muffinman

Postby jack » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:15 am

I threw together a quick and dirty O-2 Skymaster for the event. It's just the Vive FG Cessna 337 with a new paint scheme, and it's renamed. :)

I'll include it in the event package when I release it.

jack
Retired

EVENT PACKAGE - NEEDED FOR EVENT!

Postby jack » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 am

As promised, here is the event package:

DOWNLOAD

jack
Retired

Postby redneck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:00 am

I just realized I had the AH-1 and A-1H mixed up. Hmm. Guess I better get comfortable with the UH-1. Or, I may fly one of those slow planes or something. Now, I have no idea what I'll be flying. I gotta give'em a try to see what I like.
I think I can confidently maneuver the Huey, so I'll take that one.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby Arthur Maiden » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 pm

I call shotgun in a huey :)

EDIT: I dont call shotgun in a huey, that's the day i'm off to scotland for a fortnight's worth of sun, sea and sailing :( damnit.
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Callsign: G-PHEN
AVA Callsign: AVA0016 - RETIRED
The development of the S92 has infected my Avatar...
Arthur Maiden

Callsign: G-PHEN

Postby Andrewc65 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:18 am

Hi all,
I am Andrew and I will be doing the AWACS and Air Traffic Controlling in the air with a Boeing E3B.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew C.
Andrewc65

Postby redneck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:20 pm

I got a few questions. Where exactly are we supposed to meet up for this? I'm assuming we'll basically start at some airport near the carrier, land on the carrier, and then start. Is that correct? If not, how do I start on an MP carrier? Will we have to keep low to avoid radar, and thus being shot down by SAMs? Just in case, I have practiced a lot of high-speed, low-level flying in the Huey, and I can now manage it pretty well. However, we would be able to see a wider range at higher altitudes.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Next

Return to Multiplayer events